2.3 Ford / OMC Cobra

mkownby

Recruit
Hello. I have a 87 Bayliner Capri with a 2.3 Ford/OMC Cobra. I took it out for the first time this season and it was running fine. No smoke or overheating. We stopped for about a half hour to relax and the engine wouldn't turn over. Thought it might be the battery. When it finally did crank over, (I was almost to the dock by then paddling) we took it out to try to give the battery a charge. Halfway out into the lake, I started hearing a clinging sound. I throttled down and checked the temp. Everything looked fine. I started heading back in and all of a sudden, the engine stopped dead. I tried to crank it back up, but all I would get was a loud "clunk" and the steering wheel would spin to the right. Any suggestions to what happened or ways to fix this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

D

DJ

Re: 2.3 Ford / OMC Cobra

I don't see the relationship of the steering wheel moving. Possibly your gimble bearing froze??<br /><br />However, remove the spark plugs and check the oil.<br /><br />You may be ingesting water into the cylinders. If that's the case, your manifold (exhaust) and riser may be the culprits. You're on borrowed time with them anyway on an engine of that age.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2.3 Ford / OMC Cobra

i think when you pull the outdrive that it will be the problem and engine ok. wheel turning because outdrive locked up is my guess.