2.0 omc

a.weeks

Cadet
im back 1988 2.0 omc sea drive after replaceing the stator,rectifier,4 coils,plugs and key switch motor has developed a miss at idle enging backfires and stops with me putting the flywheel back could i have caused out of timing if so explain how to set timing

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2.0 omc

The flywheel is keyed so unless you sheared the key its likely the wheel is on OK.<br /><br />Most likely you have two coil wires crossed. Either the primary or secondary wires. Follow them closely. Its real easy to do. <br /><br />Good luck!

a.weeks

Cadet

checked wires from pack lookin at rear of engine left top and right top coils to top left and top right plugs two small orange/blue wires going to each top coils . bottom left bottom right to bottom left bottom right plugs with solid orange wires to coils explain secondary/primary wires i marked the flywheel before takeing off and aligned marks puting back on after magnets pulled flywheel down mashing my little finger hehehe

a.weeks

Cadet

are the primary wires the small striped orange wires and secondary the plug wires you are refering to

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the new power pack it is harder to criss-cross the wires, because the top orange-blue wires are shorter than the bottom wires making it almost impossible to screw it up. At least on my OEM replacement power-pack.

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, how bad was the stator to change out? Looks like I might do that next...

a.weeks

Cadet

well if you dont have a puller purchase a harmonic ballencer puller from a autoparts around 15 dollars remove the flywheel and remove the 4 small bolts holdind the stator on and install stator torque flywheel back to 100 ft pounds make sure you match up the small key to the knotch in the flywheel

a.weeks

Cadet

the nut on mine was 1 1/2 inch holding the flywheel.. outside diamater of socket must be 1 7/16 or less fit inside where nut is

a.weeks

Cadet

is it true if replaceing the rectifier the plugs must be changed also im thinking thats why my enging backfires and stops when ideling

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you mix up your inside and outside diameter specs? If the nut was 1 1/2 inches (1 8/16") the outside diameter would have to be larger than that, not smaller.<br /><br />I think my manual said the nut was 1 7/16", which probably means the outside diameter cannot be larger than 1 1/2".<br /><br />Not trying to be a smarta** it's just that I will be taking the flywheel off this weekend and I want to be sure I have the right size socket.