1st service on 220MPI mercruiser, how close to 20 hours?

freebo27

Cadet
Hi,
Took delivery of a band new 18 foot bowrider a couple of weeks ago with the 220MPI motor, when collected it had a fault with the tacho not reading right, the dealer had to order a new one so I took the boat agreeing it would be fixed when the new one came in.

Sure enough it was replaced but of course the built in hour meter started again at zero.

So I lost 12 hours recorded running, doesn't seem a big deal but 1st service is due at 20.

How close does the first service need to be to exactly 20 hours? I have a full day on the water planned for a couple of weeks which will take the real hours from about 15 to 25 hours (training course). I want to keep the motor serviced right but also keep the log book correct.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: 1st service on 220MPI mercruiser, how close to 20 hours?

If no one has any better info, l'll give an opinion.

On the hard running side of the coin. Take it easy. Let the parts polish themselves together as slowly as is reasonable.
75% throttle except for the hole shot to get on plane is always a good idea. You don't run an auto engine at WOT except to get on the freeway. Even aircraft engines are only run fire-walled during takeoff and initial climb. At least treat the boat motor the same.

On the fluid change side of the coin. The early fluids change is mostly to get out the chips that were left in during manufacturing. Changing it early is better than changing it later. 20 (auto) hours is equivalent to 1000 miles. I do my first oil change on any brand new car at 1000 and again at 3000 miles (~60 Hours). Cheap insurance.

If you are going to go way over (and at 25 hours, that is not that way over), just do it early. You will sleep better knowing it is overdone.
It is a $10,000 motor and drive. $50 worth of oil, filter, and gear lube, is about the cost of a half tank of fuel.

To reset the Tach hours, take the power wire off the back and run a jumper to the hot wire on the fuse block for 12 hours, (set an alarm clock to remind yourself).

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go enjoy the boat, 25 hrs is close enough. To be honest, I thought Mercruiser ended the 20 hour service seversl years ago, is it in the owners manual to do one now? Or is this something your dealer is wanting you to do?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Go enjoy the boat, 25 hrs is close enough. To be honest, I thought Mercruiser ended the 20 hour service seversl years ago, is it in the owners manual to do one now? Or is this something your dealer is wanting you to do?

What they ended was the FREE 20 hour service. The 20 hour service is still required, anyway between 10 hours and 30 hours.

Chris.....