1999 Sea-Doo SPX - starts and dies

lasso

Seaman Apprentice
1999 Sea-Doo SPX, will crank up and idle cold, will run for a while usually about 30 minutes then starts going dead, it will crank up and go dead, eventually not cranking at all. Rebuilt the carbs and reinstalled, installed another set off another working ski and have replaced the fuel lines. Looking for any direction that may help.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1999 Sea-Doo SPX - starts and dies

Those 787 motors are very sensitive to low voltage situations. I would replace the battery f it hasn't been done in awhile and keep a tender on it while not in use.

-Check battery
-Make sure motor is charging battery

lasso

Seaman Apprentice

The battery not only is it new, but I keep a battery tender on it. However, I have not checked the charging voltage with a meter. WHat should it be at - 13.6 to 14??

Levinz11

That sounds about right 13.5-14.5V while the motor is running. Sounds like after 30 mins the battery is too weak to fire the ignition.

lasso

Seaman Apprentice

Cranked ski up on hose. Checked charging voltage, she's holding steady at 13.8 volts. Got to looking under front. Found there is still some of the gray crap gas lines. Found gas line particles in the filter. Will change the rest of the lines in a day or so.

Levinz11

Those grey fuel lines have killed more skis than any thing else. Do you have an inline filter? If not better look at those carbs again. There are filters inside that could be gummed up.

lasso

Seaman Apprentice

There wasn't anything in the secondary fuel filter, looks like the primary caught it all. Will change out the rest of the lines this week and retest this weekend.

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice

i know you say the battery is new but i would say its best to take it in and have it tested sometime new batteries are bad ive had the issue with some 787s bad battery = lots of troubles i would go with a maint free 16 clb thats another thing make sure you have a 16 not a 14 or 12 they just dont do the job on a 787 motor