1999 johnson 90hp

taylormade

Cadet
j90pleeb <--- model number

ok ive stripped everything off this motor...pistons out and crank out etc....there was nothing wrong with this motor but it was or came from florida after the hurricane ....sand all in the intakes and everywhere ...so i stripped it apart...my next task is to take the powerhead off the leg but i do not have a manual yet....i removed six 9/16 bolts that connect the head to the leg....but it looks like there are or is a nother plate under the head that is about 3/8 thick....not to sure what the next step is to remove the head....there are a few 3/8 bolts that go through the head to this plate....please help me remove head...i dont want to start banging and prying without knowing....thanks.....

aslo im in victoria bc canada, any ideas where to get a complete rebuild kit from.....imgoing to replace all bearings,rings and seals , but pistons look good...or is it better to do everything? i anticipate this being a long thread so thanks in advance....i would like to post all problems as i go , maybe it will help someone

thanks again =)

Walker

Captain
Re: 1999 johnson 90hp

There are 2 nuts in the rear and 4 from underneath in the front that have to come off. The plate you talk about stays with the leg. I do have a question for you now. How did you tear down the motor without removing it from the leg.

taylormade

Cadet

i actually dont know ... i just started doing it...i did actually drop the leg before i removed the crank because of the shaft from the leg, but other than thatthe head is still on the leg housing...maybe i stated instructions unclear. i cant rmove the leg and housing because it is still on the boat and i have no power for tilt...i intend to put the boat on ramps to gain the height then remove the leg , but with kids and no time ...i pick and choose my spots....if you know what i mean...

this will be my first rebuild , i am familair with wrenching as ive done it for years, i am no mechanic but i do understand.

i will leave the plate with the leg and go from there, i will post my progression
tomorrow. i just didnt know if there was anything or any bolt that i was missing....if i remove all visual bolts then the head should come off....

you are saying "nuts" i dont see any "nuts" on the exterior of this motor, just 3/8 (wrench size ) bolts.....but i think i know what you mean. =)

Walker

Captain

Yes we are having a failure to communicate. I really don't understand what you are trying to take apart. Its not possible (that I know of) to disassemble the powerhead while still attached to the midsection, but apparantly you did it. The nuts I'm speaking of are 2 at the very rear base of the powerhead. They come off upwards. The 4 up front are actually 2 bolts and 2 nuts. One each on each side. If you have disassembled the powerhead then these 4 are probably already taken off.

taylormade

Cadet

taylormade

Cadet

ok i got the powerhead off and will take all pieces to be cleaned....one question...the pistons arent labled "starboard-port" etc...ive noted all numbers and where they go and which way they go but two have the same numbers...or can these pistons go where they want when reassembling?

i will reaasemble on the bench then put on the leg....lol hopefully i have a manual by then

Walker

Captain

Post the numbers for us. Its possible a couple of the pistons are oversized.
Pistons should mbe marked with the numbers and "P" or "S" or the piston numbers should be different for port and starboard.

taylormade

Cadet

cy 011 b 8620 top starboard

cy 012 b 8620 top port

db 019 b 8620 bottom starboard

cy 011 b 8620 bottom port
this is the way they came out....they didnt seem to have any "p or s" marked on them....maybe after cleaning ill see...

also what is the standard bore size for this head ? i need to let the machine shop know this.so i can oder the corect ring size thank walker.

taylormade

Cadet

just got back with the parts all clean, look like i need a new crank....one of the center bearing rusted to the crank . and i dont beleive you can turn these cranks beacuse of the one size fits all bearing ...

if i can turn this thing and someone can give me an idea where to get the correct parts ... that could save me alot of $$ , thanks for helping