1999 Johnson 4 Stroke 175hp

Frdtrtnfx4

Seaman Apprentice
How bad will a 1999 Johnson 4 Stroke 175hp be on gas compared to a 40hp johnson. I have a 16' bass boat now and i am looking at a 1999 19' bass boat with a 175 johnson on it. Also, Fiberglass to aluminum, what are the differences and what is better?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 Johnson 4 Stroke 175hp

holy smokes what a loaded question :D

heh heh heh......welcome to i boats.
this place is really good for all kinds of boat answers......

i would suggest to ask the mods move the first pard of the question reguarding fuel for the different ob's to the ob section and re post the tinny vs glass here.

but.....in a nut shell.......the equasion will be weight vs rpm vs setup (prop pitch....ect)

the tinny over glass is a personal preference.....there are many reasons to go alum.....and many other to go glass.

it will depend on the type of boating you do and the uses of the craft.

cheers
oops

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is a very rough rule of thumb that works fairly well for fuel consumption estimates. Fuel consumption (gallons/hour) on any engine, 2 stroke, four stroke, etc will burn roughly 10% of its rated horsepower. Note that I said "roughly". The hull design, setup, load, water and wind conditions all affect fuel consuption. So a 40 HP engine will burn roughly 4 gallons/hour and a 175 will burn roughly 17.5 gallons/hour at wide open throttle. Since you don't run at wide open throttle most of the time, actual consumption will be less than that but unless you have a fuel flow monitor, you can't really tell what that number is with any accuracy. Horsepower is not free so you cannot expect to get the anywhere near the 40 HP economy from a 175. The long and short of this is that it takes "X" amount of fuel to get "X" amount of horsepower.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The 99 175 Johnson is carb'ed 2 stroke and the Evinrude is a Ficht. OMC and BRP did not produce a 4 stroke in this year and horsepower. Do not let the person selling try and fool you! :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get the model # off the motor, lets find out what it actually is.

Boatdood

Seaman Apprentice

I've noticed that folks often mistake a Ficht engine for a four stroke and this is likely the case here. Johnson engines were available in 1997 and 1998 in the Ficht configuration. By 1999 the decision was made by OMC to market the Evinrude as the advanced technology engine, and the Johnson as the old dependable. To further confuse matters though OMC also entered into an agreement with Suzuki to market their 4 stroke engines branded as Johnson or Evinrude engines in 1998 but that was in limited HP offerings. In later years the HP was upped to as much as 225hp in the Suzuki/Johnson offering, but never was it a 175hp. The Suzuki contract was canceled after the 2005 year model and the 175hp Suzuki 4 stroke was introduced shortly after that.