1999 Johnson 35hp 3 cylinder

t2mcdonald

Recruit
Yesterday I took my boat out and it was running good, almost full throttle for about 20 minutes until I reached a no wake zone. After being in the no wake zone for about 10 minutes I was able to open it up again. However when I went to throttle up the engine started to run rough and smoke. I know noticed my water temp light was on. It was peeing a solid stream of water in neutral but would smoke and shut down when I put it in gear. I let it sit for 45 minutes and fired it up. The water temp light was off and it would go in gear without smoking. I was able to get it back to the ramp without any issues. Any thoughts on what this could be?

tphoyt

Ensign
That would be a good place to start then.
It’s really the first step to a new to you motor even if your told by the seller that it was done.
Unless there is proof of that it’s always worth taking a look.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If the oil injection , mixer , oil tank is on this motor get rid of it and throw it away.-----Install a new impeller.----Mix at 50:1 in the gas tank.

t2mcdonald

Recruit
If the oil injection , mixer , oil tank is on this motor get rid of it and throw it away.-----Install a new impeller.----Mix at 50:1 in the gas tank.
The mixer has already been removed. I will try a new impeller. Thank you

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Yesterday I took my boat out and it was running good, almost full throttle for about 20 minutes until I reached a no wake zone. After being in the no wake zone for about 10 minutes I was able to open it up again. However when I went to throttle up the engine started to run rough and smoke. I know noticed my water temp light was on. It was peeing a solid stream of water in neutral but would smoke and shut down when I put it in gear. I let it sit for 45 minutes and fired it up. The water temp light was off and it would go in gear without smoking. I was able to get it back to the ramp without any issues. Any thoughts on what this could be?
I'm thinking you got plugged up somehow in the no wake zone or you have a bad thermostat.

Start with the water pump but then you may need to go through some more stuff.

Don't ignore it though because it's bound to come back.