1999 Force 75HP Fuel Question

spotco2

Cadet
I am new to outboard engines but have been an automotive mechanic for many years. I am also rather new to boating with anything more than a Jon boat so please bear with me.

I recently purchased a 1990 Bass Tracker Pro 17 that someone had replaced the original engine with a Mercury Force 75 HP with a May 1999 date code sticker on the head. The engine still appears to be like new and I can not find any wrench marks anywhere on the bolts or nuts on the engine.

I am afraid that someone has let it set though and that might be causing my issue.

The 6 gallon portable fuel tank was plumbed into the system without a quick connect when I got the boat. The priming bulb was also showing some signs of dry rot. The oil tank was also bypassed when the engine was replaced so I have been mixing oil directly with premium gas and adding Marine Sta-Bil and Seafoam to each tank. I replaced the bulb with an ATWOOD and added a quick connect to the tank and hose end.

When you slowly pumped the bulb the fuel filter will fill with fuel and the engine will start right up and idle fine. After a minute to warm up it throttles up fine but sounds like it has a slight miss to it. I replaced the plugs but the miss is still there.

After the engine has ran for a few minutes the plastic fuel filter looks like it is going dry but the engine continues to run if throttled up. If left at idle sometimes it will die but start back up after pumping the bulb a few times or just spinning the engine over for 30 seconds or so. The filter is empty though when this happens.

On the water running, you could not ask for a better performing engine until you stop it. Sometimes it will start right back up and sometimes it will take a couple of minutes of spinning over or pumping the bulb. Yesterday it would not hardly start and when it did it was acting like it was running on about a half of a cylinder. I think my trolling motor is faster than the engine at full throttle, but within a few hundred yards it picked back up, got us on top of the water and ran like a dream.

I swear this engine acts like it is running out of fuel after it stops. I see no signs of any fuel leaks under the engine cover or anywhere in the water. What should I be looking at that would let the fuel pressure drop from the line causing the filter to empty?

Would this be something in the fuel pump? Possibly a diaphragm?

Here's a stupid question. The fuel tank has a vented cap. I have been storing the tank with the vent closed and running the engine with the vent open. I would assume that the vent would have to be open for the engine to pull fuel from the tank otherwise the tank would just collapse until the tank pressure was greater than the fuel pump pressure. Am I correct that the vent needs to be open when running the engine?

Any help is appreciated. I hate to pay someone to repair something that I should be able to take care of myself.

It has not been a real concern until yesterday when it started running so poorly and we were a few miles from the ramp.

kywings

Seaman
Re: 1999 Force 75HP Fuel Question

It sounds exactly what I'm experiencing. yesterday I rebuilt the fuel pump and pulled the vacuum port and sealed the threads. It made a big difference but I also think I have other issues. NAPA sells the parts for the pump for $11. I also bought a Manual on ebay. I was thinking of tuning the carbs today. I'll keep you informed what I find. Mines a 1998 75. Im interested in your tank question. Only because sometimes it will start and run perfect then drop back. Oh Napa PN#18-7817. Mine had a diaphragm leaking and a check valve shot inside. I also changed the inline filter with one from NAPA but it wouldn't stay running. So I put the old one back on. Then I found the loose vacuum fitting so I will try again today.

One test I think makes sense if it doesn't start after stopping and you think the pressure dropped, pump the primer. If it starts right up I would think that's it.

spotco2

Cadet

It DOES start right back up if you pump the bulb SLOWLY. If I pump it quickly, then the fuel will not fill the filter.

Thanks for the NAPA info. Where is the vacuum port that you are talking about?

LOL....I bought the pdf of the manual on Ebay also. It's pictures are almost worthless but at least you can read the text.

I'm going to try running it without the cap on the tank (in the yard) to make sure the tank is not sucking the fuel back out of the engine.

kywings

Seaman

On the front of the pump there is a 90 degree fitting and it has a 1/4" id hose that goes to the lower part of the motor. About 5" down to the right. The 90 degree fitting that screws into the motor it the one that was loose. I got 2 more turns and put thread sealer on it.
I started my own thread this morning so maybe we'll get some suggestions. Let me know on the tank. That seems interesting.

spotco2

Cadet

Here's the engine running without the fuel cap on the tank. At about 30 seconds I put the cap back on with the vent open. You can see the filter runs out of fuel.

spotco2

Cadet

Here we go with running, stumbling and dieing

kywings

Seaman

So are you thinking it is drawing in air or creating a vacuum from the tank to the pump? Mine is on a pontoon so it is a big tank built in to the boat. Maybe I'll open my cover and try today. Mine misses just like that when you closed the tank and starts like video 3 always.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Most likely the fuel pump diaphragm, very common problem, as they were not ethanol resistant. They are also a "consumable" maintenance item. I do mine every 5 years.

This also accounts for the hard to restart issue. The pressurized fuel in the system will leak through the pump into the powerhead and flood it out.

You could also have an air leak, but you need to do the pump.

Also, if you have an oil mixing pump on the boat, it is from the previous motor.

Force outboards never had them.

spotco2

Cadet

So are you thinking it is drawing in air or creating a vacuum from the tank to the pump? Mine is on a pontoon so it is a big tank built in to the boat. Maybe I'll open my cover and try today. Mine misses just like that when you closed the tank and starts like video 3 always.

In the first video I started with the cap off and put it on at about the 30 second mark with the vent closed. I unscrewed the vent about 30 seconds later when I noticed the filter appeared to be dry.

The second and third video's had the cap on with the vent open.

I think Roscoe is correct that the diaphragm is leaking somewhere. This would account for the lack of fuel when trying to restart as well as the smoke when it finally does (flooded condition).

I'm taking it back up the river tomorrow but will have parts on order by the end of today.

I think you have a similar issue with the fuel system. I just don't know enough about outboard engines to know what I'm really looking at. If it were an old car I'd think it was vapor locking and boiling the gas out of the lines :)

spotco2

Cadet

Most likely the fuel pump diaphragm, very common problem, as they were not ethanol resistant. They are also a "consumable" maintenance item. I do mine every 5 years.

This also accounts for the hard to restart issue. The pressurized fuel in the system will leak through the pump into the powerhead and flood it out.

You could also have an air leak, but you need to do the pump.

Also, if you have an oil mixing pump on the boat, it is from the previous motor.

Force outboards never had them.

Thanks Roscoe. That's what I was leaning towards but wanted a little reassurance before I started replacing parts at random.

Where's a good place to order Force parts? The closest marina is an hour away and so is the nearest NAPA.

Honestly I'd rather order the parts online and not have to deal with some of the folks at the parts counter.

Rokee101

Recruit

Hi, Everyone ,,,, I Have the same issue with stalling / starting / missing then running great,, Here is something I found. when I pull the fuel line off the fitting entering my inboard TANK immediately after engine stalls, place thumb over fitting , can here air being sucked back to tank.. Vent seems clear ,,, still searching cause,,hope this helps ,, will check back if remedy doesn't works. any other ideas ?

spotco2

Cadet

Run it with your fuel cap loose and see if there is a change.

It sounds like your vent is clogged.

Rokee101

Recruit

I tried that with full tank, but am wondering if air is able to enter down fuel filler pipe when fuel level in tank is 4" above bottom of the filler pipe.. (would have to suck air down 4" below fuel level to clear bottom of filler pipe... next step is add portable tank test ,,... wish I could find info on tracker boats and parts ,, example model fuel tank , # and length of fuel pick up line , etc.. dealers are not helpful

spotco2

Cadet

Well, I got the rebuild kit in for the fuel pump and finally had time to install it today.

I did indeed have 2 torn gaskets inside the pump and a torn diaphragm. The vacuum fitting mentioned above was also loose so I tightened it up. The fuel inlet hose was also loose so I added a new clamp there.

Pumped the bulb and it actually got firm for a change and filled the filter with gas!

Ran the engine for about an hour and adjusted the carbs out a little. The fuel filter stayed well over half full the entire time. I let the engine sit for about an hour and the filter never leaked back down. I hit the ignition and it fired right up!

Thanks everyone for the info on this.