1999 Force 40 carb

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A year ago I made the mistake of puting my carb in a dip overnight. The inlet seat now has the chrome lining eat off leaving the brass finish. It is not sealing as well but still runs. It is a press in seat and says to not remove. I purchased an older carb from a 50 power head and the 50 carb looks a little different. I have been afraid to try the 50 carb on my motor. The 50 carb has a pressed in seat like the 40 and that seat looks new.

1. Is there an easy way to fix my 1999 carb?
2 Would the 50 carb work?
3. Is there a way to get the inlet seat out of both carbs and put the good one from the older 50 into the neweer 40?

4. Will a carb for a 40 from prevous years work. I see older carbs for a 40 on ebay.

I am still running but I see a time coming where I am going to have to address this.

Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 Force 40 carb

What's the difference in the carbs? Post a pic or 2 of the carbs next to each other.Post the #s stammped in the sides of the mounting base.
Usually once you start removing the seat your gonna ruin the carb.
You might be able to use the jets from the old in the new.
If the linkage lines up you might be able to use it like it is. J

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1999 Force 40 carb

Pictures are possible but we are getting some really heavy snow right now.

My carb has a 135A number and is for the 40 hp engine. Both carbs are made similar. The jet in this carb is a .062

The older carb is for a 50 and the bolt holes that mounts it to the engine are closer together. It will not mount to the motor as I have recently noticed. The number on this carb is 117. This carb definetly has a larger throat and the jet is .070 or .075 - I cannot remember.

Here is what I have thought about today.
1. use a dremel and carefully cut the seat out of the old carb so that it remains in pristine condition.
2. Use a die set to cut threads into the seat in the 40 carb. Screw a bolt down into the threads. Tie a rope to the bolt head and pull the bolt straight out - Kind of like a crude sliding hammer. I would really hate to destroy this carb as I cannot find another. If it suffered a small chip I could possible repair with quik steel.

This plan would be a last resort and is really not what I want to think about.