1999 Evinrude FICHT

redrider_1220

Recruit
I am looking at buying a javelin boat that has a 1999 evinrude ficht. I have read alot of bad things about these motors online. Did OMC or BRP fix the problems on these motors with recalls? If so how would I know if this particular motor has had the bad parts replaced. Ad says new seals and water pump in lower unit. Basically I'm asking if the boat would be safe to buy with the ficht motor. Thanks for your time.

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1999 Evinrude FICHT

What size motor? From what I understand the problems were with the v6 motors not the v4's and pretty much the problems were solved. Somebody with more knowledge will chime in.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Any Ficht from that era will have very poor resale value, regardless of size. I would keep looking.

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As previously stated, the v-4's were reportedly good performers and the v-6's had lots of problems, to the extent that many were not repairable (faulty design , mainly )

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The ones out there that had the updates done to them, a lot of them are still running strong. But do to the reputation they orginally got, yes the resale value isn't too good.

mercfixer

Cadet

They weren't all thet bad of a design. Although i am a merc/yam kinda technician, if you take the motor to a good evinrude dealer for software updates they are one hell of a motor !! True, you won't get the best resale BUT that can work to your advantage as a buyer. Get educated on the FICHT as an owner and it will treat you right. The advantage to the evinrude is that the software updates can be downloaded by the dealer and revised into the ECM. NO ONE ELSE has this capability incorporated into the ECM. Pretty amazing when you think about it. The FICHT...or the FUXXXD was we merc heads call em, has its quirks, as indexing the spark plugs, and some other issues.....they ARE worth owning.....the V 6's in particular...nice acceleration and excellent on fuel as well as oil....need to set which grade of oil on the ECM as well....another nice option.....
Hope this helps......

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any Ficht from that era will have very poor resale value, regardless of size. I would keep looking.

That's what people keep saying. Yet sellers keep getting a fair price for used Fichts in good condition. They may not get quite what the four-strokes are commanding of the same vintage, but people realize a motor that is running strong after 6-12 years of operation will more likely suffer the usual age-related issues rather than from some perceived curse of the breed.