1999 280 MERCURY OUTBOARD

I'M REACHING OUT THERE TO ANY OF YOU 280 MERCURY OWNERS. I HAVE A 1999 280 MERC.WITH THE 3rd 2000 MODEL POWERHEAD WHICH I HAVE JUST BLOWN MY 3rd POWER HEAD IN 10 MONTHS THE MOST I HAD ON ONE POWER HEAD IS 6.5 HOURS THE LAST ONE WHICH WAS JUST A WEEK AGO HAD LESS THAN 2 HOURS AND MY COMPUTER SHOWS 8 HOURS. I HAD TO PAY THE LABOR FOR INSTALLATION OF THE LAST ONE AT CAJUN OUTBOARDS 2 MONTHS AGO. NOW MERCURY MARINE WANTS TO SEND ME A REFURBISHED POWER HEAD AND ME PAY THE LABOR AGAIN. READERS PLEASE COMMENT OR SUGGESTIONS THANKS.

Fitch

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1999 280 MERCURY OUTBOARD

Call mercury direct and give them the story with your ser# and see what they say. Also check into you lemon laws.

Fitch

Seaman Apprentice

Post you e mail addy and I will contact you for ser# and see what I can tell you.

john ho

Cadet

The 280 series are probably pink elephants. according to a major crank rebuilder in the US, the recent higher horsepower Merc crankshafts are a weak point and Merc sends him hundreds to redo (He is a major rebuilder who helped pioneer rebuilt cranks) This is opinion, mind you. But it reminds me of the Evinrude/Johnson V8 outboards (280's or 300 I think) that were lemons and were not very dependable. Ask your Merc/rep dealer to credit you and return your motor against another engine. Salvage what you can and move on. The dealer warranty headache and time loss is a killer and does not save if you put a price on time loss and aggravation and the possibility (likelihood) of future return problems. Best wishes and may luck be with you

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the 280's were decent powerheads ...were originally developed off the ss / drag motors ....they are picky about breakin/run in...if pushed hard out of the box or when block is cold they will seize.....

Fastcat

Cadet

The 280 hp had some detonation problems in #6 hole. If you follow breakin, use 92+ oct fuel, run at 32/1 or higher(rich) they are a great engine. The 2.5, 3.0 are the best outboards you can buy, if you need help let me know.