1998 Volvo Penta 4.3L GL

djrevkev

Cadet
Looking for an engine for my 98 Four Winns Horizon 180. Anyone have any leads on a reman or low hr used with risers under 3grand?

Thanks for any help.

alldodge

Staff member
What happened to your motor?
Don't know your location but might be able to find one in a junk yard. Then replace some parts to marine. Might be able to get one for $300 maybe then get new exhaust

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agreed, what happened?

from there we can point you in a direction.

I would go with new exhaust on a used motor. or rebuild what you have (depending on what is wrong), or if you are on a tight budget, a salvage yard motor stripped down and built back up as a marine motor would be the most budget friendly.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Michigan Motorz has both remanufactured and new base engines in that budget range. But you can save some money if you have a local engine machine shop who knows what they are doing

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And you can get a set of Barr exhaust manifolds, elbows, gaskets + bolts for approx $725. That's what I put on my engine as a replacement for the old OMC one piece batwings.
Not worth gambling with old exhaust if replacing an engine unless they were fresh water used and the mating surfaces are in excellent shape....

djrevkev

Cadet
Looking for an engine for my 98 Four Winns Horizon 180. Anyone have any leads on a reman or low hr used with risers under 3grand?

Thanks for any help.
Thanks for the replies everyone. My sea pump pretty much exploded on the way back to docs from a long day out on the water. Overheated pretty bad thought may have blown the head gasket. I replaced the pump the next day. Went out on the water that weekend after repairing pump and all seemed fine then for a good 45 mins then all of a sudden lost power and engine oil pressure spiked high and barely made it back to shore. Changed the oil and filter and same problem oil pressure spikes high and no power. Just want to replace the engine at this point and start fresh.

djrevkev

Cadet
agreed, what happened?

from there we can point you in a direction.

I would go with new exhaust on a used motor. or rebuild what you have (depending on what is wrong), or if you are on a tight budget, a salvage yard motor stripped down and built back up as a marine motor would be the most budget friendly.
Thanks for the replies everyone. My sea pump pretty much exploded on the way back to docs from a long day out on the water. Overheated pretty bad thought may have blown the head gasket. I replaced the pump the next day. Went out on the water that weekend after repairing pump and all seemed fine then for a good 45 mins then all of a sudden lost power and engine oil pressure spiked high and barely made it back to shore. Changed the oil and filter and same problem oil pressure spikes high and no power. Just want to replace the engine at this point and start fresh.

djrevkev

Cadet
And you can get a set of Barr exhaust manifolds, elbows, gaskets + bolts for approx $725. That's what I put on my engine as a replacement for the old OMC one piece batwings.
Not worth gambling with old exhaust if replacing an engine unless they were fresh water used and the mating surfaces are in excellent shape....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I had a similar problem with my 4.3 about 7 years ago, it overheated then ran fine 3 more seasons, at the end of the 3rd I had difficulty starting, loss of power etc. What I found was that the head gaskets had started leaking water into 2 of the cyls, I was able to save it by draining the water and repeatedly fogging it. I pulled the cyl heads after verifying it was the head gaskets (bubbles in cooling water to manifolds test) and took them to a machine shop. They found cracks in the center exhaust seat areas on both heads, a couple of sticking valves and the cooling passages were getting eroded form years of raw water cooling in salt water. I wound up installing a pair of reman heads, new gaskets and new exhaust and the engine is still running fine 3 years later. I was able to do the top end overhaul with the engine still in the boat.

However, if you really want to start new, you have choices, you can get a new Vortec 4.3 from numerous sources or go with a reman. Might want to call some local automotive machine shops, see if any does marine engine builds that can save shipping costs and if you have an issue, local service beats remote warrantee service anyday.

Attachments

• 4.3 new cyl heads installed.jpg
    4.3 new cyl heads installed.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 5
  • re-assembling the old 4.3 #2.JPG
    re-assembling the old 4.3 #2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

The high oil pressure suggests water in the oil since water is more dense than oil....and blown head gaskets could have caused that....

djrevkev

Cadet
I had a similar problem with my 4.3 about 7 years ago, it overheated then ran fine 3 more seasons, at the end of the 3rd I had difficulty starting, loss of power etc. What I found was that the head gaskets had started leaking water into 2 of the cyls, I was able to save it by draining the water and repeatedly fogging it. I pulled the cyl heads after verifying it was the head gaskets (bubbles in cooling water to manifolds test) and took them to a machine shop. They found cracks in the center exhaust seat areas on both heads, a couple of sticking valves and the cooling passages were getting eroded form years of raw water cooling in salt water. I wound up installing a pair of reman heads, new gaskets and new exhaust and the engine is still running fine 3 years later. I was able to do the top end overhaul with the engine still in the boat.

However, if you really want to start new, you have choices, you can get a new Vortec 4.3 from numerous sources or go with a reman. Might want to call some local automotive machine shops, see if any does marine engine builds that can save shipping costs and if you have an issue, local service beats remote warrantee service anyday.
What's your thoughts on swapping out 4.3 for a 5.0. it's a 99 5.0 Gi?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210111-191827_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-191827_eBay.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The 5.0/5.7 V8s are the same width, and use the same mounts at the 4.3 but are about 4" longer. So you have to make sure the engine mount pads are long enough to support that. If the boat came with the option of a V8 they probably are. The outdrive ratio for the 4.3 may work with the 5.0, you may need a bigger pitch prop though.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
What's your thoughts on swapping out 4.3 for a 5.0. it's a 99 5.0 Gi?
I did the same swap in my searay 200. The side motor mounts and front of the engine are 4” farther forward. My boat was set up with motor mount stringers that accepted either the 4.3 or 5.0. So as long as you have room in front it would be worth it.I wouldn’t bother if you have to move the rear seat or make a new engine cowling.
I kept the steeper V6 ratio drive and went up in pitch from 19” to 21” prop. Works perfectly.
the front and back of the 4.3 and 5.0 blocks are the same bolt patterns so all accessories will bolt up. Some of the 4.3 s used metric bolts for side motor mounts, flywheel cover and starter. easy to get the bolts for this.