1998 Alpha 1 Shift cable on a single drive

HeadnSouth

Seaman
I just got done doing all the bellows and have the outdrive reassembled. I'm in the home stretch here and I'm having a shift cable issue.
According to the manual it says "Push in on the shift cable while simultaneously turning the prop counterclockwise until the shaft stops".

This means the outdrive is in forward gear, correct?

Here is my issue. Pushing in on the cable and it goes into neutral and pulling on the cable put its in gear but it locks while turning in the clockwise direction. Where and what did I screw up? The shifter shoe is in the 12 o'clock position and the prop locks in the clockwise rotation..

Did I reinstall the shift shaft in the wrong position?

Any help would be appreciated.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: 1998 Alpha 1 Shift cable on a single drive

while you are pushing in on the cable have a helper turn the prop counterclockwise, this will help the lugs on the clutch slide into place on the gear face

once the prop locks in fwd gear (turning counterclockwise on the prop), then you can adjust the cable for fwd

HeadnSouth

Seaman

while you are pushing in on the cable have a helper turn the prop counterclockwise, this will help the lugs on the clutch slide into place on the gear face

once the prop locks in fwd gear (turning counterclockwise on the prop), then you can adjust the cable for fwd

That's the thing. I had my wife turn the prop CCW and it wouldn't lock. It locks in the CW rotation.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

time to pull the drive and inspect the shift cable end and linkage in the bellhousing and the drive

HeadnSouth

Seaman

Already had that all apart when I replaced the bellows, water pump etc. For a 98 that has 300 hrs on it and has only been in covered fresh water its pretty close to pristine condition.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

when you reassembled the drive halves and pressure tested did you ensure the drive shifted F/N/R manually??