1998 60HP Evinrude Outboard - throbbing/bouncing revs stuck at 1200rpm - BE60TLECM

Shaky Shed

Cadet
Just readying my outboard for southern hemisphere summer - had been started and run regularly over winter with no problems, last time would have been around 8-10 weeks ago. Got some fresh fuel and charged battery.

Started it today, and at idle is as per normal, however increasing idle causes the RPM to get to around 1200rpm and then the engine starts to throb/bounce and won't go any higher. You can see/hear it in this video I recorded.

What do you think I am dealing with here? Given it seems to idle ok, it feels like a fuel issue? Fuel filter? Pump? Carbs? Something else?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Do you have a tach on that motor? Those usually idle around 1200 rpm on muffs so your problem is happening at a higher rpm. Get the boat on the lake and see if you actually have a problem. Nothing good happens from revving your motor on muffs!!!!

Shaky Shed

Cadet
Yeah you can probably just spot the tach on the dash when I'm filming the throttle... I had it on muffs, and usually do with no problems for a quick stab up the RPMs... but maybe I didn't have enough flow through it... would it really cause it to act that way? Hmmmm... I might do a barrel trick next...

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I would double check.your tach. Get it on the lake muffa are not a true indicator of how a motor runs.

fireman57

Captain
Hey guys I understand that they will idle around 1200 on muffs but that doesn't address his problem of the bouncing, throbbing, and rps going no higher.They should race on muffs.
I would first check the motor mounts down in the cowling and make sure they are not bad. Also check spark on all cylinders and make sure you don't have a dead miss.
I am no expert on these engines but if you overheated it then it may be in slow mode so you don't blow it up.
You can also run it in a barrel and see if it makes a difference. Just make sure that the water is at least halfway up the midsection. Best would be to have water up to where it would be if the boat was in the water. Should mimic the lake and lessen your chance of getting stranded on the lake.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Needs to be on the lake with the motor! Running that motor in a garbage can is a waste of time as you need to be able to rev it up in gear! Revving a motor in neutral on muffs like that causes all kinds of running problems. Muffs are NOT indicative of how a motor runs!

fireman57

Captain
I understand that but it still should not "throb and bounce" on muffs I would not think. He also states it will not go above 1200 rpms. I will bow out.