1997 Yamaha 200hp 2 stroke

Zanny

Recruit
I have a 200hp yammie, counter rotation with 330hrs
I went out in the boat the 1st day it run fine. Went out the next day, and heard a clunking sound so I pull back the throttle and check the engine and look at the lower unit to see if I pick up anything and I didn't. Start back up, shift it in forward and moves fine in idle, gave it some throttle and it start jerking and clunking. It run at idle for 6 miles to the marina.
I just replace the lower unit because the same thing happened with the old 1.
I need some help, I am thinking 2 lower units can't do the same thing.
It takes forward only at idle speed but reverse I can get more speed without any problems.
HELP.

robert graham

Admiral
Clutch dogs/shifting out of adjustment and not engaging completely?…Maybe drop the lower unit and check for shifting….

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
How’s the shift cable and assembly at the engine ? I’d have a look at that with the engine cover off whilst it’s doing it. To see what’s happening there. See if it’s jumping out of gear.

Zanny

Recruit
I have, with the cover off, manually shift it in gear and held it there while some one run the boat and it still did the same thing.
I have check the oil for water and change the oil.
I am about to drop the lower unit and see if I gear shifter has not advance to far or not enough

robert graham

Admiral
With lower unit off, turn prop shaft by hand and manipulate shift lever on top of lower unit until neutral is found….then re-assemble lower unit onto motor…this may fix your problem.