1997 SeaDoo GTi

Canadian97gti

Recruit
Well, i think I've read everything and still feel like I know nothing.

About 2 years ago I jump started my SeaDoo from a vehicle to get the battery charged enough to start the boat (boo hiss.... bad idea I know). After about 10 minutes the boat started and idle, and I took ti for a run, and it went about 100 yards then died. Nothing, no beep, no crank, nada.

The following spring I looked inside and noticed that a fuse had blown. I replaced it and poof! Instantly another blown fuse as soon as the DESS is plugged in. I read all around the Internet and decided based on others experiences, that I had blown the stator.

So today I finally opened her all up and got to the stator, which looks perfectly normal. Can you tell by looking if they're fried?

Now I don't pretend to be a mechanic, but have I gone about this all the wrong way, or should I have started at something simpler? Or should I just replace it with the one I bought?

I've been reading about yellow wires, and how to try other methods & such, but some simple directions would really be appreciated.

Chris

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1997 SeaDoo GTi

you may have fried the rectifier,, or a charge field, none of the yellow wires should go to ground, if you use a meter from the yellow wires to the ground and you get a reading of continuity you have a bad stator winding, there is really no good way to test the rectifier that I am aware of.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hook up a multimeter to the battery. Set it for Volts DC and run the machine. If the numbers on the meter go up to about 12-13volts your ok. If they drop the rectifier is bad.

ZenGamer

Recruit

Well, i think I've read everything and still feel like I know nothing.

About 2 years ago I jump started my SeaDoo from a vehicle to get the battery charged enough to start the boat (boo hiss.... bad idea I know). After about 10 minutes the boat started and idle, and I took ti for a run, and it went about 100 yards then died. Nothing, no beep, no crank, nada.

The following spring I looked inside and noticed that a fuse had blown. I replaced it and poof! Instantly another blown fuse as soon as the DESS is plugged in. I read all around the Internet and decided based on others experiences, that I had blown the stator.

Chris

Your MPEM is blown out. When you try to boost your battery, you really run the risk of blowing your computer module. That happened to my ski.

You can get a aftermarket MPEM from www.seadoosource.com