1997 Rude 175 looper SLUEC "Trick Question" meaning I probably know the answer

Maichip

Cadet
1997 Rude 175 looper SLUEC "Trick Question" meaning I probably know the answer

I just need to bounce an issue off of someone else's head. Your input is greatly appreciated.

I recently rebuilt the carburetors on the above noted engine. When doing so I removed the intakes and cleaned and reset the needle valves (low speed adjustment) to factory setting of 4 turns. The boat runs like a top at all speeds but idle. She will not run worth a flip at idle.

The needles were set to 6 turns when I dismantled them which seemed a bit odd to me since the factory recommends 4 turns. I have taken the boat out twice since the carb rebuild and both times had the same problem. When at idle, and in gear, the fuel bulb will not get or stay hard. If I have someone pump the fuel bulb I can get above 1500 rpm's and am able to take off without further problem. I was contemplating rebuilding the fuel pump but now think I am reading too much into the problem.

Here is the question. Do you think setting the needle valves (low speed adjustment needles) back to 6 turns would correct the issue. Why would setting the needles out two full turns past factory recommendations be required? Any ideas.

I am going to set the needles out to six turns and try it out, I just wanted someone else's feedback. If that doesn't work I will rebuild the fuel pump.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1997 Rude 175 looper SLUEC "Trick Question" meaning I probably know the answer

Re: 1997 Rude 175 looper SLUEC "Trick Question" meaning I probably know the answer

first off your fuel bulb will not stay hard while motor is running, because your fuel pump sucks the fuel, there fore there is negative pressure in your fuel line up to the pump. why not try backing out the screws until it runs right?? if 6 turns is what it takes then do it. try backing out 1/2 turn at the time. only other problems could be timing or clogged idle passages in carbs. that is a greta motor by the way..I have a 150 OIS..wish I would have held out for a 175.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The 'factory recommendation' is only a starting point. The setting is where the motor runs right, NOT some number of turns.