1997 Rinker Trim Issue

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My buddy just bought a used Rinker and the trim switch is intermittent. It hesitates when I lower the outdrive and rarely works to raise it. When I push the trailer switch it raise like it should and the hydraulic pump sounds fine. Most of the time when I would push the trim switch, whether it was to raise or lower, it would just make a clicking sound. The boat has a 4.3 Merc with the Alpha One outdrive. Any info or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: 1997 Rinker Trim Issue

sounds like a sticky solenoid

common issue with merc trim pumps

try rocking the switch rapidly, sometimes this helps, otherwise removing and cleaning all contacts is a good idea or replacement of both solenoids may be necessary

tpenfield

Staff member

If the solenoid proves out OK, check the wiring to the trim limit switch on the outdrive.

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think we have ruled out the trim limit switch since it doesn't seem to respond even when it is all the way down. We will check though if we find that the solenoid is not defective. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

I think we have ruled out the trim limit switch since it doesn't seem to respond even when it is all the way down. We will check though if we find that the solenoid is not defective. Thanks

Ayuh,.... That's where that problem will show itself,... When the drive is Down, 'n you try to raise it...

By-pass it, inside the transom....

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I fixed it. The 20 amp glass fuse was all but snapped in half and the thing was a little corroded. I replaced the fuse holder and fuse and adjusted both trim switches on the outdrive. It works without fail 98% of the time but once in a great while it will still click and do nothing for a second. I think we just need to clean some of the contacts a little better. Thanks for all the help guys.