1997 Johnson FIcht 150 starter spins but won’t engage flywheel?

baley

Cadet
1997 Johnson FICHT 150 ILEUC starter spins, have voltage to both sides of solenoid, lubed the bendix shaft, replaced the starter-still spins and growls when I let off the key, may be bendix and shaft bushings per prior posts?, thoughts are to replace the bushings and bendix and shaft. Thoughts? , what should I be cautionary of when removing the flywheel cover. what all should be replaced?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
try jumping straight to the starter.
since its a new starter if that doesnt work suspect your battery and all cables, clean up all the connections
ive never removed a flywheel cover on that

baley

Cadet
I've never done that, do I need to ground the negative to the block and then touch the starter lug or just hook both to the battery and touch the starter post with the positive and do nothing with the negative?

baley

Cadet
Thank you, I will give that a try, already shined up all the terminal connections on the batteries, solenoid, ground lugs, will be unhappy if my 2 week old battery turns out to be the problem or maybe that's the best case scenario.

baley

Cadet
Ok, ruled out the battery. same symptoms as before- that leaves me with the hope that the pinion shaft and bushings that were ordered will be the cure in a few days. Still hope someone can warn me of what do's and don't removing the fly wheel cover. Hate surprises. Thanks

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
That motor uses a reduction gear and bendix located underneath the flywheel cover. Most likely the bendix is bad plus the bushings worn. A new bendix comes with a new reinforced flywheel cover. The cover has a new upper bushing in it, check for wear in the lower bushing that is pressed into the engine block.

baley

Cadet
I ordered a new bendix shaft and 2 bushings, no mention of a new cover, I hope I don't need to order another part. Thank you for the input.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Not trying to do the "I told you so" thing, but this underscores the value of the advice all over the forum that the best "part" that you can buy for an O/B is an OEM manual.
Doesn't sound like you needed a new starter at all....so you are probably in for $100- minimum already in unnecessary $$$ just by throwing parts at it and hoping something sticks.

The OEM manuals have VG troubleshooting check lists and good test sequences that help avoid this.It also will explain the proper removal of the flywheel cover.

Dogrider

Cadet
My 1995 175 faststrike is doing same thing. How hard is it to get to all that stuff. Do u have to remove flywheel and idler stuff?

baley

Cadet
Tim your are right, trying to squeeze the nickle till the ------- ----- doesn't pay, I will invest in a manual, I want to keep this motor, it is a love hate relationship, Love the fuel economy,clean, powerful enough for us, and how smooth it is, but hate it when she leaves me dead in the water. But till the manual shows up still need all you guys to help me muddle through. Appreciate all the input. Thanks

baley

Cadet
Dogrider, I believe your starter and mine are a little different in the way the bendix gets to the starter, pretty sure your bendix is attached to the starter, mine is not. low voltage, cleaning terminal connections working your way back from the starter and testing the battery is where I would start. you may want to post a new thread to draw more attention to your issue.

baley

Cadet
Parts showed up Tuesday, finally had time to work on it tonight. Kit did have the new flywheel cover and bushing the already pressed in, took me about an hour to disassemble and reassemble, upon removing the bendix I found it nearly impossible to turn by hand I was pretty sure it was the problem and it was. After double checking all the bolts and wire routes were good, I fired it up and was amazed how is roared to life- I have had this motor for 7 1/2 years and it has never turned over and fired so fast. in the past I would go through batteries every couple years, now I suspect the current draw was the dragging bendix. Thanks to all, for your help. See you on the water, feeling a little sick tomorrow!