1997 Johnson 70 H.P. rectifier regulator issue

1997 70 Hp Tach will not work and battery not charging Figured it was rectifier Tested 20 volts ac into yellow wires but only getting 1.1 volt dc out on red rec wire to ground.Took rectifier out and tested with ohmmeter using small rectifier test From gnd to either yellow or red getting no reading Reversed leads and still no reading. From red rectifier lead to yellows I get a reading in one direction and nothing in the other as I should Saw this and went and bought a used rectifier that was supposedly bench tested good online Hooked it up today and same old same old. 1.1 volt dc output between red and ground running so I pulled replacement rectifier off and hooked it to ohmmeter and got the exact same results as above from the old rectifier Basically my question is am I missing something or testing something wrong or do I have two rectifiers that both have the same things wrong with them? Thanks in advance for your time

Last edited:

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 1997 Johnson 70 H.P. rectifier regulator issue

Hmmm, OK ...the main question would be ,,"what is the setting that the meter is onto..."

Showing a "voltage" while NOT hooked up is a wrong procedure....

Look for the omega symbol and do a continuity test , thats what you'd need.

Xcusme

Commander

Hmmm, OK ...the main question would be ,,"what is the setting that the meter is onto..."

Showing a "voltage" while NOT hooked up is a wrong procedure....

Look for the omega symbol and do a continuity test , thats what you'd need.

Note: To test a diode, it will test OK in one direction and Nothing in the other direction. In other words...it conducts in one direction only!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Possibility that what blew the original also blew the replacement. Check battery cables for loose or corrosion. Be sure to check the ground cable too. Also check continuity of the red wire between rectifier and starter solenoid.

You aren't starting it with a charger, are you?

I guess I don't need to tell you to check the next replacement before you install it, do I?

I have meter on the diode scale for resistance tests with rectifier disconnected. The 1.1 volts I am getting is with motor running, rectifier connected between the red output wires on terminal block and ground Should be 12 volts should it not? I dont think my motor is blowing the rectifiers I think I was sent a bad replacement as I show 18-20 volts ac going to rectifier from yellow wires on stator What I have read on here seems to show that is correct voltage between yellow wires and stator is working correctly Am I wrong about input voltage to rectifier? Also I am starting from battery and not a charger

Last edited:

F_R you gave me the solution Checked continuity on red from rectifier to solenoid There was none Took a little better look at wire and found it had rubbed power head and was shorting to ground Replaced wire and magic there was a working tach and charging battery Thanks for mentioning that as I would have pulled what little hair I have out before I found that Still dont understand why I had no ohmmeter reading from case of rectifier to yellows or red either way Thinking maybe my meter just wasnt reading it on diode setting Anywho its working now so thanks a million