1997 Johnson 70 H.P.-No spark suddenly

Ok had my 97 70 horse out running like a champ yesterday Trolled several hours and did a few high speed blasts when I was done Trailered it and today go to start it and nothing Checked spark with tester and no sparks on any of the 3 cylinders. I suspect it is probably power pack but dont want to invest the big bucks till I know for sure. I took ignition cutoff lanyard switch out of the equation and still no spark What else could cause me to go from a sweet running engine to a oversized paperweight in the course of a day? I also disconnected yellow leads from rectifier and tried and still nothing Dont see any bad connections or anything like that Also are there any tests I can do with just a simple ohm/volt meter? Thanks in advance for the help

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1997 Johnson 70 H.P.-No spark suddenly

disconnect the large red harness connection,then jump positive to starter,check for spark,(harness does not need to be connected for engine to run if jumped)be sure you have all wire pulled to avoid starting ,especially if you have no water connected ,also watch for fuel blown out of cylinder when cranking,it can ignite from spark,if you have spark,id suspect your keyswitch is bad

Re: 1997 Johnson 70 H.P.-No spark suddenly

This motor dosent seem to have the large red connector It has several smaller connectors under a screw off cover Which is the right one to unplug to do this?