1997 Johnson 130 - Dies

bigshrimpin

Seaman
I'm pulling my hair out on this motor problem.
It's a new to me 1997 130 Johnson.

Fresh fuel on a 6 gallon tank
Compression = 130psi in all 4 cylinders
Checked spark = all 4 plugs are getting spark.

Problem:

Motor starts and idles for a full minute. Then motor stalls out. It will restart right away and run for 10 to 15 seconds and quit. Doesn't appear to be idling rough.

Work Done so far:

Though it might be the fuel primer (Choke/solenoid). Tried moving the red arm to either position. Open position will flood the motor. Eliminated this as possible problem.

Rebuilt/cleaned carbs . . . Floats are adjusted properly (Primer bulb gets hard . . . bowls don't overflow) fuel getting to bowls of all 4 carbs. Didn't find any restrictions.

replaced inline filter.

Motor still behaves the same way after rebuilding carbs
primer bulb stays full.

At this point I feel like the I've eliminated fuel delivery and now believe the problem is ignition related . . . Any advice on where to start? Could this be a bad Powerpack?

Boblester40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1997 Johnson 130 - Dies

What ignition system does it have ? sounds like the fast start function is kicking in after it warms up and then killing it when it retards the ignition , Have you done a link and sync ? If it is the OIS2000 igntion it is very specific how all the levers are positioned correctly. What rpms are you showing on idle before it stalls ?

Regards
bob

bigshrimpin

Seaman

What ignition system does it have ? sounds like the fast start function is kicking in after it warms up and then killing it when it retards the ignition , Have you done a link and sync ? If it is the OIS2000 igntion it is very specific how all the levers are positioned correctly. What rpms are you showing on idle before it stalls ?

Regards
bob

Thanks Bob!! It's got the System Check . . . I'll have to look again to see if it's got the OIS2000 ignition? I don't recall off the top of my head . . . my Brother has a 1997 150 and it says OIS2000 all over everything, but I don't recall seeing that on my 130. The 130 does have the Deutsch Connectors (not big ole' red plug) if that helps ID the ignition. I haven't done a SYNC and link . . . Almost forgot when I connected a speaker it's screaming continously. I read that means "overheat" with the system check . . . heads are still cold, so there's no way it could be overheating.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

OIS2000 ignition is on 60 degree engines( optical ignition system) , this is 90 degree looper with timerbase and butterfly pack. Sync the carb linkage and make sure engine is idling at around 1100rpm if your running it on a hose.It will reduce rpm when it has backpressure.