1997 Force 90hp Stiff steering

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone, I just picked up a 1997 proline 170 with a force 90hp on it. The motor runs great, and compression is 130 on all cylinders. The steering is very hard, but the tube and shaft are clean and greased. I noticed the vertical swivel pin is in bad shape. I heated to melt the grease also avoiding the nylon bushing and refilled. It made a small difference, but I feel it needs to be replaced. That being said is it worth putting 1,000 in steering parts into this motor?

Any input would be great

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes the kingpin area needs a couple of hours of heat and add more grease. Thin grease like White Lithium
While the bushing will melt and seize it takes a lot of heat to do that.
In some cases the mid section needs a couple of zerks added to the top and bottom.
The zerks in there already are just pressed in and will push out if a lot of pressure is applied.
Keep at it and it can get to where it's usable.

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is this a salty motor? https://forums.iboats.com/threads/1997-75hp-force.652857/ This link describes the kingpin removal/replacement.....post#4 by Frank A. is real good.....you can do a search and find a lot of threads about this.....see what others had to do, etc.....
Yes it is. I'll take a look thanks
Sometimes the kingpin area needs a couple of hours of heat and add more grease. Thin grease like White Lithium
While the bushing will melt and seize it takes a lot of heat to do that.
In some cases the mid section needs a couple of zerks added to the top and bottom.
The zerks in there already are just pressed in and will push out if a lot of pressure is applied.
Keep at it and it can get to where it's usable.

I was easy with the heat because of worries on melting bushings. There are a total of 8 zerks on the bracket. So I’m assuming someone has been at it before I bought the boat. The bottom of king pin is rotted as well and retaining ring is sitting on lower unit. Also the lower motor mounts are shot.

I got a great deal on the boat and trailer and thi motor runs great just unsure if I should invest 1k in a force or find something used.

Attachments

• IMG_1378.jpeg
    IMG_1378.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpeg
    IMG_1400.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1402.jpeg
    IMG_1402.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1405.jpeg
    IMG_1405.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1403.jpeg
    IMG_1403.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1401.jpeg
    IMG_1401.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If someone's gone through all that trouble to fix it before? Not so sure it's going to FIX?? Maybe find another motor and change the powerhead? or get a different motor all together??
You said: "The bottom of king pin is rotted as well and retaining ring is sitting on lower unit. Also the lower motor mounts are shot." I'd be afraid to use it past an idle.

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class
If someone's gone through all that trouble to fix it before? Not so sure it's going to FIX?? Maybe find another motor and change the powerhead? or get a different motor all together??
You said: "The bottom of king pin is rotted as well and retaining ring is sitting on lower unit. Also the lower motor mounts are shot." I'd be afraid to use it past an idle.
Agreed, All the parts you mentioned is about $1,000.00 not sure if its worth putting into this motor. It runs great, good compression, electronics are not cracked or heat soaked.

topgun3690

Ensign
Another thing to think about....if you decided to repair it, all the bolts/fasteners might be solidified.....snapping bolts off right and left....saltwater takes a toll on them for sure, especially after 26 years.....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Pick up a replacement donor motor and install your good powerhead.

Should be able to get a non runner pretty cheap.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
I'm with Roscoe on this one. I'm sure there are some wonderful Force motors out there, but I've worked on a few and they were all a disaster. So, there might be lots of compatible non-running compatible force motors out there. I'd look up the parts you need and then back-search to see what other Force motors use the same parts and then start shopping.

Nordin

Commander
Remember if you are searching for parts that Brunswick (Mercury) started to put more and more Mercury parts to the Force from 1993-94 and up.
Major of the parts was the ignition system and gear cases.

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info. There are 2 1997 force 120hp in my area. I think the midsections are the same as the 90. I’ll have to do some researching