1997 Force 120 Wont Start After Changing Water Impeller in the Lower Unit

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently took out the lower unit to change water impeller. When i put the lower unit back the first time, the motor started but always in FORWARD. I then took the lower unit out again. This time I put the shifter in Neutral and the Lower Unit in Neutral as well. The motor cranked but very weak and the jump starter drained out very quick. The flywheel seemed to turn very slow and heavily. What have I done wrong? PLEASE HELP!!! Many thanks in advance!!!

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1997 Force 120 Wont Start After Changing Water Impeller in the Lower Unit

My guess would be a electrial problem. Be sure all your connections a clean and secure. Happened to me last year. I backed the trailer down the ramp, lower the motor and hit the key. It spun the flywheel very slowly. So I tried again and again until I melted the battery post. Needless to say we went home.
The only other thing I can think of is: when you put the lower unit back on did the drive shaft seat properly? If it is not I would think that may decrease your starting speed(Rare).

Tom

scooterdog

Cadet

I am only a novice, but if the motor was running fine before the impeller change, then my first thought would be that somehow the shift linkage moved during the procedure. The fact that the motor was cranking and was in forward seems very suspect to me and makes it even more plausible that something like that has occurred. That would also probably explain why the starter has trouble cranking the engine with the gears engaged.

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am only a novice, but if the motor was running fine before the impeller change, then my first thought would be that somehow the shift linkage moved during the procedure. The fact that the motor was cranking and was in forward seems very suspect to me and makes it even more plausible that something like that has occurred. That would also probably explain why the starter has trouble cranking the engine with the gears engaged.

Thank you scooterdog. The motor was running excellent prior the impeller change and after the impeller change with FORWARD stucked. How do I go about correcting the shift linkage? Thanks - Anthony

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update: Can someone instruct me how to shift the Lower Unit to FORWARD? I used a vise grip plier to turn the coupler to the gear that the prop and the drive shaft could turn both ways without the rachetting sound. Did I shift it to FORWARD or REVERSE? I then put the Lower Unit back on with the Throttle Control in FORWARD. The motor still didn't start, the Starter engaged with the Flywheel but it only cranked a few turns. However, I managed to get the motor fired up and ran for about 10 minutes. It ran but it seemed the Prop was turning COUNTER-CLOCKWISE when I shift the control to FORWARD and CLOCKWISE in REVERSE!!!! After ran it for about 10mins, I shut off the motor and started again. The same problem... :( the starter engaged the flywheel but it cranked only a few turns!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

... was a bad battery that caused the problem.... Thank you All!!!

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

replaced a new battery... motor started and ran like a champ :) I have learned many good lessons about changing water pump, synced up shafts, etc. Thanks so much for many good advices!!!