1997 carver 5.7 port engine removal

gwhynot

Recruit
Morning,
Anyone Know of any tricks to removing the port engine on a 1997 325 I am getting varying answers if the rear window and door come out without breaking so I can use a forklift and a beam, if anyone has done this before I welcome your experience and in site
Thank you
George

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Morning,
Anyone Know of any tricks to removing the port engine on a 1997 325 I am getting varying answers if the rear window and door come out without breaking so I can use a forklift and a beam, if anyone has done this before I welcome your experience and in site
Thank you
George
Maybe post some pics to show what you're dealing with

Bondo

Staff member
Morning,
Thank you
George
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Donno yer boat, but generally speakin', you remove as much "Boat" as necessary to get the job done,....

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I suggest removal exhaust manifolds piece by piece to lighten weight. You might build a small a frame to fit inside cabin to coffin-hoist block up just enough to put onto an engine mount.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Guessing based on your question and thoughts of removing salon aft door and using an extended fork to hoist the engine this is an MIE? Located below the aft salon floor?

Carver isn't always the "nicest" boat builder when it comes to repair however I'd like to think they'd give a pragmatic option for engine removal. There must ba a way to remove the aft slider door to get an extended fork above the engine and use a block/tackle to hoist.

Like Mike says, post up some pictures of your situation, more is better

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Guessing based on your question and thoughts of removing salon aft door and using an extended fork to hoist the engine this is an MIE? Located below the aft salon floor?

Carver isn't always the "nicest" boat builder when it comes to repair however I'd like to think they'd give a pragmatic option for engine removal. There must ba a way to remove the aft slider door to get an extended fork above the engine and use a block/tackle to hoist.

Like Mike says, post up some pictures of your situation, more is better
INDEED! Unfortunately, back in the day, boat builders built boats to sell and could care less about future repairs. Many also added boat top caps after motors, wiring and fuel tanks were installed, which lead to nightmares when pulling motors or tanks. Removing the sliding door should not be that big of a problem. If cabin roof is high enough, then raising a SB v8 inside a cabin with some sort of portable hoist with rollers is an idea. Perhaps owner should have a welding shop build a portable hoist that could be disassembled and reassembled inside cabin. He could raise motor and attach to Harbor Freight engine stand and roll motor to back of boat. I have done this too many times. Once is enough.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
I haven’t done a 325, but have pulled a few engines in similar boats.
Before trying to remove the rear window/door assembly you should check to see if a replacement is available. They are sometimes very difficult to remove without damage.
Some Carvers I could remove the fly bridge and just lift the engine up and out,
Worst case is to strip the engine down to the bare block and manually lift it out. A old 8’ prop shaft with a couple of hooks welded on works good. Best advice I can give if you decide to go this way.

Remove everything from the salon—- everything—— if it will fit in the aft cabin, great. If not, off the boat. Keep the galley open. Cover all carpet with the sticky back protective film, cardboard or towels over that. Everything that is removed from the engine goes in a leakproof box and off the boat or in the forward cabin.

Sorry, but if you have to ask how to do this. Maybe you should check out having a pro do it, or a least paying for on site help.