1997 Blue Water Monte-Carlo Repower/overhaul

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The time has come to spend a little $$$... I have mixed feelings about this, Kinda a cross between Tim-the tool man-Taylor and being a responsible adult in the budget department... Like I said, I am torn.

So I have a 5.7L Volvo GLI 350cid Tuned Port Injection small block that is completely bone stock, attached to an Volvo SX stern drive. The block has 2 external cracks that have been patched on both sides, (makes me wish I had seen this earlier),and 860 hours on the meter. No known internal cracks have surfaced because there is no water in the oil and no obvious signs of a cracked block.

I am torn because the people at the boat shop/performance shop said to trust the block because it made it thru all last season with no issues, but I want that piece of mind of knowing i'm 100% and not sitting on a disaster waiting for me to get 20 miles from the dock at Lake Powell.

I have a friend, who builds marine engines, tell me that we can repower with a new short block for $1600 and take it back to 300hp, for $1700ish we can go to 325hp, for $1800 we can go a 383cid 350-370hp, or we can spend $2000 and go with a 400cid 430hp. I know my sterndrive wil handle 500hp, and I am really torn. The 400cid will spin around 4500-4750 max rpm and he has built a few of these in the past for other boats. In my smaller hull this set up should fly, and propped right I should be very happy.

Do I trust the repair guy or do I do a total repower with a new short block, or new long block? The obvious answer is always budget regulated but having a 9.5:1cr 430hp small block that is pump gas friendly in my ski boat sounds really tempting and easily achieved.

Thank you in advance.
David

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1997 Blue Water Monte-Carlo Repower/overhaul

The GLi engines were only available in 96 and 97. They were not "Tuned Port Injection", they were TBI (Throttle Body Injection) where the throttle body and 2 injectors look a lot like a carb.
You can't just throw in a bigger block and expect 300 or 325 hp. The fuel injection system and ECM is designed for a single size engine, so unless you want to do a lot of extensive and expensive changing of the ECM, you need to get a standard block and change it out and keep on truckin'. You can't change marine ECM's like you do automotive.

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What about a total removal of the TBI and go carb'd? What would the pro's and con's be of that swap?

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

It involves other costs, new intake, carb, fuel delivery system (yours is set up for fuel injection) ie. fuel pump, ignition system, etc.... the costs are substantial. Keep it relatively stock, lots of guys spend tons of money to get more power out of their engine thinking that they will get more speed but just end up with a boat that doesn't cruise or run well for their troubles.

Bondo

Staff member

The block has 2 external cracks that have been patched on both sides, (makes me wish I had seen this earlier),and 860 hours on the meter. No known internal cracks have surfaced because there is no water in the oil and no obvious signs of a cracked block.

I am torn because the people at the boat shop/performance shop said to trust the block because it made it thru all last season with no issues, but I want that piece of mind of knowing i'm 100% and not sitting on a disaster waiting for me to get 20 miles from the dock at Lake Powell.

Ayuh,.... You don't have a problem,...
If the block were cracked, you'd have water in the oil, 'n ya Don't...

Run it til it pukes....
Then worry 'bout yer next step...

Btw,... The horsepower figures yer stating are just abit Optimistic, to say the least...