1997 Blue Water Monte-Carlo issues

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, guys... need a little help here and all input is very helpful and appreciated in advance.

I have a 97 Blue Water Monte-Carlo 21' open bow ski boat. Volvo (chevy) 350, Throttlebody FI, Volvo SX outdrive (1.51-1) with a 17* Solas 3 blade alum prop, 860 hours on the motor.

Two owners back the owner was very particular about the boat..almost anal. New upolustry, new gelcoat, very meticulas on how he took care of things. Met him a few times out on the water because we had the same boat. LOL!

The previous owner for 2 seasons didnt do a darn thing. Never cleaned it or anything else, but I didnt think this would have happened.

The gimble housing is severely chipped away and the bellows failed because of this. After looking at the whole picture, it appears that I need a new plate taht bolts up to the transom. Is there a way to repair this? There are a few small areas that the bellows will not totally seal over the gimble bearing housing. I do not want to a ****-poor job or rig it to "work" for a season. This has cost me a set of U-joints and a gimble bearing.

I am planning on rebuilding the motor this year as well because everyone i know who has had these boats all have had an engine failure around 900 hours. and this leads me into my second concern. Engine failure, but its to be expected with an engine at this timeframe, right?

The TBI injection systems ran extremely rich up here at Utah Lake (4500' elevation) it would not run at WOT but did rev to 4400RPM even tho you could smell the raw fuel at the transom while at an idle. When we took it to Sand Hollow (1700' elev) it ran like a champ and did not bog down once nor was there hesitation. WOT screamed at 4700rpm, and there was almost no fuel residue on the transom after that day at the lake.

Because of the fuel injection system shouldnt it adjust to the elevation?

Now there is also a leak of water coming in from the transom, I figure a seal is out, but until i repower I wil never know, but the water is coming in from the transom plate from what appears near the bottom. almost to the speed of a slightly left of faucet just past the "drip" faze. Bilge pump kicks on about once an hour.

Any ideas or suggestions on places to get repair parts, and or reccomendations for the re-power would be great. I dont have a clue where to start looking for the outdrive housing, but I know it will be a little saturday project to pull it all off and put the new plate on. I am afraid that I will have to remove the engine tho.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1997 Blue Water Monte-Carlo issues

Because of the fuel injection system shouldnt it adjust to the elevation?
It should, unless there is something wrong, and you may be over propped for the altitude.

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1997 Blue Water Monte-Carlo issues

My old boat that was 2 years older, 1995, we ran a 19* SS prop. Never had a noticible issue in either lake. It was also carb'd with a 600 Eddy marineand a 300hp repower/rebuild.