1997 70 HP Warning Alarm

Hi I have a 1997 70 horse Johnson that I have disconnected the VRO assembly on and now premix The motor runs idles and trolls like a charm but I am having a problem that is threatening my sanity. The check engine gauge will run through its start up check at random with the motor running. The motor never even sputters a bit when this happens Also the warning horn will go off randomly when running for varying blats between 3 and ten seconds long When it does this the motor once again never sputters and I receive no light on gauge, just the horn blat. Also the water out of the pee tube never gets above mildly luke warm so I assume there is no thermostat issue. I have assumed this is a electrical connection issue but have checked connections and all seems solid. I was thinking it might be a bad connection on ignition in control box but before I rip that open was wondering if anybody had had a similar experience or any other ideas. Thanks in advance for the help

ob

Admiral
Re: 1997 70 HP Warning Alarm

Did you disconnect the VRO/OMS wiring harness along with the oil reservoir connectors on the port side engine compartment?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 70 HP Warning Alarm

You could just have a bad gauge. OMC had probs with them back in those days.