1997 25HP Mercury Tracker wont stay running

ifixf18s

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1997 Tracker (2 Stroke) made by mercury marine. It has been sitting for about 4 years, Have started it a couple times each year. last year i started it and it has developed a cough took it out on the water and when i gave gas to go, it would stall, Thats the recent history. What i have done recently is dissasembled carb, cleaned it and replaced the gaskets and diaphrams. Replaced All fuel lines and the bulb, and cleaned the inside of the fuel tank. Now is starts fine (does seem to run alot better) however it seems like the carburator bowl will run out of gas and the engine quits, I can give the bulb a couple pumps just before it quits and the engine will continue to run. Wondering if it could be a vacuum issue not drawing the fuel into the carb and thinking the engine is using the fuel faster then the fuel is being replaced.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1997 25HP Mercury Tracker wont stay running

You have the problem figured out now you must find it, start by checking the fuel filter and make sure it's not gummed up, next if you have a different tank try it. It could also be the engine connecter. As long as your sure the rest of the cleaning was done right.

ifixf18s

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the info, i did bypass the fuel tank connector by removing the fitting and putting the hose directly into the fuel tank. Thought about the fuel connecter on the motor, but it does pass fuel when the bulb is squeezed. might have to bypass that and try again. I did clean the fuel filter and the housing. Thank you !!

ifixf18s

Seaman Apprentice

Found the problem, It was the gasket that goes between the carb and the motor. Was removing the carb to see if anything was missed. I noticed the hole in the new gasket lined up to everything on the carb just fine however it covered up the hole on the motor. The old gasket had an elonggated hole while the new gasket did not. This was stopping the vacumme from drawing the fuel into the carborator. There was a another gasket in the kit that was a bit different but all the holes still lined up and it did not block the hole in the motor. replaced the gasket and the motor stays running.

ifixf18s

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your advice, just wanted to let you know i found the problem.
It was the gasket that goes between the carb and the motor. Was removing the carb to see if anything was missed. I noticed the hole in the new gasket lined up to everything on the carb just fine however it covered up the hole on the motor. The old gasket had an elonggated hole while the new gasket did not. This was stopping the vacumme from drawing the fuel into the carborator. There was a another gasket in the kit that was a bit different but all the holes still lined up and it did not block the hole in the motor. replaced the gasket and the motor stays running. oops didnt mean for this to show up again. trying to send a privat msg.