1997 200 hp Mariner popper valve location?

bubbers44

Cadet
I got a popper valve and gaskets and a rough exploded diagram of where it is located but can not find it. Is it behind the starter on starboard side fwd? I can't see in that area without pulling the starter. The diagram is so poor I might be reading it wrong but seems to indicate so. I get the overheat signal over 3500 rpm after about two minutes. The water pump is over a year old but is pissing a strong stream at all rpm's, even when the overheat horn comes on. Thermostats are new and I just back flushed the system and everything seems clear. The Marina has no service manuals. I plan on replacing the water pump impeller but don't think that will fix it since it has a steady stream. Thanks for any help.

bubbers44

Cadet
Re: 1997 200 hp Mariner popper valve location?

Thanks Laddies, looks like if I pull the starter it will be visible. I had that print but couldn't make much out of it.

Ed R

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey, erp here, poppet is below power pack bracket. it is easy if you split lower cowlings !

gss036

Commander

[ED R, Hey, erp here, poppet is below power pack bracket.] it is easy if you split lower cowlings ED is right on, Just take out the small screws holding the lower cowling together and it is a piece of cake.

bubbers44

Cadet

A big thanks. I will see what you are talking about in the morning. So I have to split the cowling below the engine.