1996 wellcraft excel

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

posted this in the wellcraft forum but not much going on their so I thought I would try here. Found a 96 wellcraft excel with the 3.0 merc on it. Don't know the hours or condition of boat have only seen a bunch of pics but looks great. The dealer is getting out for me to look at. Anyway don't have any experience with wellcraft. So anything pos/neg about it. The dealer said it will hit 53 is this possible, seems a little high to me with th 3.0? Also asking 6800, I don't know what all options it comes with yet so I didn't NADA but this seems high, any comment about boat or price is much appreciated.

SuperNova

Lieutenant
Re: 1996 wellcraft excel

Price does seem high even with extras. And it sounds a little unerpowered with the 3.0. It might hit a top speed of 53...with 1/4 tank and one light adult on board, but it's gonna take a while to get there and that'll just get worse with load. Forget skiing anyone heavier than a teenager. I had a 196 Elan with the 205 horse 4.3 in it and it hit mid fifties with a 40 gallon tank full of fuel and 4 adults on board with a 19" pitch prop. But with a full load of 6 or 7 adults, it struggled like the dickens just to get up on plane.
Wellcrafts are generally built heavy to begin with and I think you will be severely disappointed with the 3.0 in the long run (by June of next summer). It lacks the low rpm torque needed to get the boat out of the hole with a half-load, much less a full load in my opinion.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I hate to possibly disagree with my respected colleague above....but we need to know the size of the boat. I think the 3.0 gets a bad rap. In an appropriately sized boat it can more than adequate. My uncle has one in a SeaRay 175 and uses it 90% for watersports towing 6' tall adults. However, in a boat larger than 18', I would agree completely with SuperNova. I will also agree with him that the price seems high for a '96.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had the 3.0 in my 18' Classic 180 Wellcraft...top speed was 40 mph....agree with both posters it was adequate but if you are going to be a hardcore water sports nut you'll probably want more power...IMO though it only effects skiing....hard for most people to get up if it wont jump out of the hole...tubing and such its fine.

As far as Wellcraft is concerned I've had 2 so I'm partial but when you tell most people that know something about boats you have a Wellcraft the usual response is "hmmmm....good boat"

Also agree price seems high unless its super super mint including trailer and all. It's so easy to forget to look over the trailer because you are excited about the boat but you can easily sink $300-$500 getting a trailer in tip top shape.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It's so easy to forget to look over the trailer because you are excited about the boat but you can easily sink $300-$500 getting a trailer in tip top shape.

Truer words have rarely been spoken on this forum :)

Trailers are my nemesis.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I hate to possibly disagree with my respected colleague above....but we need to know the size of the boat. I think the 3.0 gets a bad rap. In an appropriately sized boat it can more than adequate. My uncle has one in a SeaRay 175 and uses it 90% for watersports towing 6' tall adults. However, in a boat larger than 18', I would agree completely with SuperNova. I will also agree with him that the price seems high for a '96.
Quite right, we do need to know the size of the boat. I like Wellcrafts and had made some automatic assumptions which aren't necessarily correct.They did make various length Excels. With a 3.0 I didn't figure it was 21 ft or above and I don't think they made any under 18 ft. So I assumed it was 18 or 19 foot and knowing how heavy Wellcrafts are from experience, I drew my conclusions which may be incorrect if my initial assumptions are incorrect. I am not at all experienced with the actual power capabilities of the 3.0. I only know it's reputation, which once again may not be accurate. I am sure in any other boat it would be fine, but once again the problem with most wellcrafts is weight which means they require a little more motor than other boats of the same size.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Truer words have rarely been spoken on this forum :)

Trailers are my nemesis.
Mine, too. i thought I got a great deal on my Nova with trailer, until I had to sink almost $1500 into the trailer unexpectedly.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys sorry I forgot about the length, it is a 18ft-180 sx. I will be using it to ski but mostly tubing and cruising, I don't really care about the 50mph, just want to be able to cruise with full boat over 40. I am thinking if I like it I will offer 5000 and see what happens.

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1988 18 foot Wellcraft bowrider. It has a 3.0 and enough power to pull me up on slalom (190#) and my 210# buddy. It does take some time to get out of the water, but we both do it, no problem. Two skis: no problem at all.
My son, about 230# wakeboards with no trouble. Now, two large skiers at a time: no way.

Wellcraft have a good reputation. I've been very pleased with ours (bought new in 1988)

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Thanks guys sorry I forgot about the length, it is a 18ft-180 sx. I will be using it to ski but mostly tubing and cruising, I don't really care about the 50mph, just want to be able to cruise with full boat over 40. I am thinking if I like it I will offer 5000 and see what happens.
From that and what the others guys with more direct experience with the 3.0 have said, it sounds like you might be alright as long as your expectations aren't too high. You can always prop it down if you need to for a really full load. $5000 sounds better as long as it's in very good condition, comes with a trailer that is also in very good condition, and maybe some little extras to get you out on the water.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I also hate to be disagree with those above, however, from my experience the Excel line of boats that Wellcraft built met their purpose. That is, they were more budget minded boats that lacked some of the build quality and features that the more traditional Wellcrafts of the era had. They are fine boats and all, but, I have seen many of them rotted out and completely ruined at a relatively young age. Now, most of that can probably be attributed to owners who don't properly care for their boats. However, there are some boats that hold up well no matter how they are treated. The Wellcraft Excels, from my experience, require more care to keep in good condition than some other boats from the same era.

I am also quite certain that there are very few boats with a 3.0 that will run into the 50s. Also, with a full boat running in the 40s may be stretch. I would ask the seller if the speeds are GPS confirmed...I would guess they are not.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well doesn't look like it's going to happen, I checked the NADA guide and after reading what you guys thought of the price I told the guy If I drove out to see it about a hour away, that honestly I would only go to 4500 based on year and value. He said at this time he is not going to that price. So the search continues, thanks for all the feedback

j_ringo5

Cadet

Not sure if this helps, but I just picked up a 94 excel 18 ft 18sx in pretty good condition for 2100. Sounds like even if you can get it for 4500 that seems a bit high unless it is in showroom like condition.