1996 Merc 115 trailering question

I own a 1996 115 merc. It has this little bar under the engine that you raise up and position under the engine for trailering. This little bar i am talking about is actually on the engine bracket but raises up to hold the engine in the up position. However the engine has to be in the UP position to get that lever there. I guess the lever is there to take the weight off of the hydrolic trim pump thing. The co owenr of my boat seems to think we don't have to trailer it with the engine up. He thinks Leaving the engine down (far enough so that it wont hit anything) is sufficient and maybe even better for the transom. Does anyone know whether trailering it with the weight on the hydrolic alone is bad for the engine or the hydrolic system. Is it better to trailer with the engine in the up position or down?

Re: 1996 Merc 115 trailering question

Tashas. thanks. But what is that 3 inch black metal bar for then? it swivles up and down and happens to fit perfectly under the ungine when you tilt it up.

Thanks for the transom savor tip

ncfish1

Seaman

If the tab is located on the port side and is lifted by a twist handle, this is the transport lock. If you don't flip it up and back the hydraulic down to rest on it, the engine will bounce during tow. Recommend using it.

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do yourself a favor and get the transom saver as suggested. You won't be sorry!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If it's the tab I'm thinking of, it's for beaching a boat that doesn't have PTT. That's why it's puny, not made for the vigors of trailering or boat movement.

With that said, PTT should be standard on your engine. Don't know why they would go to the expense of adding that lever at the factory unless someone overlooked taking it off when PTT became standard.

I have a 3 cyl 90 hp with PTT. I bought the boat with a transom saver but ceased to use it as on this particular installation I feel it's a waste of time. Others will disagree and give reasons for not depending on the hydraulics to hold the engine in place. That's ok and I understand those concerns but feel that I don't need it.

Actually, before I made the decision, I tilted the engine up about 30 degrees and climbed on it, feet on antivent plate and bounced up and down looking for weaknesses. Found none.....I weigh 250#. The whole engine only weighs 300 and it's counterbalanced when tilted up.

It's your rig, your choice.

Mark

thanks. All very helpfull. NCfish. YOu described it exactly. That's what I have. So it is a transport lock. hmm Anyway. I might just get the tansome saver just in case

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That locking bar allows you to safely work on your trim unit and it can be used when the boat os moored in the water.

I would not use it for trailering even though the motor is balanced on it. One good jolt and if the motor jumps off it and slams down something may break.