1996 Johnson Ocean Runner 150 hp wont start

Quiksillvr007

Recruit
I have a 1996 Johnson ocean runner 150hp on a 97 four winns horizon rx. I replaced the battery on the boat the other day. All electrical works, the guages, tillt control both on throttle and on the motor. When i try to start the boat the rpms shoot up but the motor will not turn over. Does anyone know if there is a kill switch to this motor that needs to be reset in order for it to turn over?. I traced all electrical cables everything is tight and dry. I am at a loss and would like to fix it myself before hiring a mechanic or shop to look at it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Johnson Ocean Runner 150 hp wont start

Is the fuse at the starter solenoid OK?

Is your emergency kill lanyard holding properly?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

giggle the shifter, the neutral switch may be stuck. if the nuetral switch is not engaged it will do nothing, switch is in controler.

Quiksillvr007

Recruit

ezeke said:
Is the fuse at the starter solenoid OK?

Is your emergency kill lanyard holding properly?

The emergancy lanyard is holding correctly as far as the started solenoid I just ran out at lunch to get a shop manual. I honestly had no idea were it was located. I have also "giggled" the throttle in neutral and engaged still nothing. My guess was the starter might have gone bad. But now that you have mentioned a fuse that may be the culpret.

FSUBHW

Recruit

I am having the same issues with my 200 hp 1996 Ocean Runner. Connections seem to be fine but it does nothing when I turn the key but click at the motor. Doesnt try to start. Replaced the starter solenoid yesterday and still does nothing. Boat was running fine last week until i stopped to clear the prop of some weeds. Hasnt started since...how would i check that the switch inside the throttle is engaging to neutral? Could it be a bad ignition switch?

Thanks for any help!

Keep those lines tight and wet!

FSUBHW

Recruit

one more thing...where is the fuse for the starter solenoid found?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You might want to start a new thread. That motor should have an inline fuse from the red battery wire to the red/purple wire. I would look for the origin of the red/purple wire, likely near the starter solenoid.

FSUBHW

Recruit

Thanks for the help Chris!