1996 Johnson 150hp - Fuel Separator - Leaking

tagmansr

Recruit
Hi All,

I am a rather new boat owner. I have a 1996 Johnson 150hp outboard on the boat that I purchased late last summer. This weekend I pulled the boat out of storage with a plan to do a little tune up and make sure boat was ready for water over the next few weeks. Installed batteries, changed spark plugs, and when I went to pump fuel into the engine using the primer bulb, I could hear some noise in outer part of the engine. (luckily had cover off while doing this) Pulled the Air Silencer to find that the Vapor Separator was leaking from it's seal.

Ordered new seal and vapor separator cover since I read someone else had a similar problem and someone stated that the covers have a tendancy to warp. I am planning to replace the fuel line from the priming bulb to the Fuel filter while i am at it.

It appears that in order to remove the cover I will need to remove the entire Fuel Bracket.
Question: Is this done by removing the bolts with Silver washers?

I assume after that I will need to remove hoses that zip tied clamped and remove the vapor cover.
Question: Is there a reason that these are zip tied as opposed to metal hose clamps?
Question: The screw head for the screws into the Vapor cover don't seem look like they are Phillps head. Is that some special type or some sort of Torq that I will need to aquire from hardware store?

Question: Are there any other parts that will probably need to be replaced and I should have on hand prior to working on this project?

Any other advice or suggestions.

I appreciate any assistance and suggestions.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: 1996 Johnson 150hp - Fuel Separator - Leaking

Refer to a factory service manual for the correct sequence and procedure.

You have a good eye ! Those are NOT Phillips head screws but Pozi-Drive. There are extra small slots besides the large cross slots. You can get a Pozi-Drive #2 tip in many of the multi-bit magnetic screwdriver kits, from auto supply stores or the Macto and SnapOn tool dealers or online.