1996 Johnson 115 Stator and charging

zing99

Cadet
Does anyone know if the stator on this engine J115SXEDR 1996 is a 35amp or is it something less. I'm looking into the charging system and the stator or reg/rect might be the culprit.

• Would the low output stator (9amp ?) be adequate to charge a group 27 deep cycle battery?
  • Any problem combining a group 27 deep cycle and a group 24 starting battery?
  • Should I be using some sort of isolator in the charging system?
  • Will I cause any damage to the engine electronics by connecting a plain old sears battery charger while the batteries are wired to the engine? Maybe just putting the battery switch to the off postion would be the proper method, but what about connecing it while the batteries are wired together on a 1-2-both-off switch?

I also wonder about pull starting this engine. It is the optical ignition type and the flywheel is beneath a plastic cover, doesn't look like it's set up for an emergency pull start.

Thanks to everyone for all the help I've gotten from this forum. Just searching and reading up on some common problems has been real helpful.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Johnson 115 Stator and charging

That motor shows a 20A Voltage Regulator. That is capable of charging your two batteries. If you have heavy electrical usage equipment in your boat, you might want to connect those devices to a single battery and keep the other one for starting the motor. Alternatively, you can connect all electrical loads to a single battery via a standard battery switch. If you run down one battery, you can switch to the other to start the motor.

zing99

Cadet

Thanks Chris

How about pull starting this bad boy? Does it need a battery or does the secondary coil on the stator take care of the spark?

Anyone out there ever pull started one of these?

I still wonder if I may be better off with some sort of isolation with different types of batteries when putting the switch on both.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I would need to look at the wiring diagram to determine if the spark is assisted by battery voltage during cranking. On my '98 Johnny 150HP, it is.

I do not know if you could pull start that motor. It is probably not set up to allow that anyway.

A battery combiner would be a good choice to keep both batts charged, and keep one for starting only.