1996 Honda 75 hp 4-Stroke Reliability?

Deryk

Cadet
I am going to look at a Sport Fish boat that comes with the above motor. Not much is said about these motors on the web which leads me to believe they are a good motor. Can anyone agree or disagree and give an explanation? Also, if there are some know issues with these motors what would they be?<br /><br />Thanks in advance!

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 Honda 75 hp 4-Stroke Reliability?

deryk, of course honda is a good motor, the fuel economy is really good on these motors, and if you are looking for some low end power, get a honda, honda is the master of 4 strokes (small engine wise lol) and they have all the extra features that makes it a great motor, hopes this helps

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

As the owner of a '99 Honda 90 (virtually same motor), I'm not about tp march in any parade with a banner exclaiming Honda's unsurpassed virutes. I've owned 5 of their cars and have nothing to complain about. Although I am glad I picked the Honda for a marine application instead of the OMC I was debating to at the time, I wouldn't say they are miraculous; I have had a few problems ( hard starting and blowing oil smoke during starting the first year, neutral safety switch coming loose during operation, carbs often going out of sync, several TSBs, hesitation or stalling during heavy acceleration, resonating noise when trimmed in ). Honda's concern to address these problems WAS miraculous however. If I were to do it again, I don't think you could GIVE anything but a four stroke, but I would prefer fuel injection if available.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure that that engine has a water separator installed and that it has been there awhile.You do'nt mention where you are from ,but I would make sure you have local support for that engine if you need it.Great engine,but certainly do the water test before laying down.