1996 Evinrude 48 spl problems

phonetech

Cadet
i have a 48 spl evinrude it will idle but when i go to throttle up it just boggs down i changed the plugs and the coil pack that did not take care of it then i took it to a marine mech. he has checked the stator the trigger and found no problems i am getting frustrated i found when i hook up a spark tester in line the top cylinder spark is not steady at idle and as i throttle up it almost goes away completly. but the bottom one has good fire. any answers would be much appreciated. phonetech

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 Evinrude 48 spl problems

Hi, Phonetech.<br /><br />What you have done so far suggests poor spark to #1, but I would like to eliminate fuel/air supply as a contributor. You replaced the coil pack, so that doesn't seem a likely candidate. The powerpack is still a prime suspect.<br /><br />With the engine idling, remove the spark plug leads from each cylinder, one at a time. Note if the engine rpm drops or remains the same.<br /><br />If pulling #1 plug wire results in no rpm drop you have confirmed that #1 is not making power.<br /><br />Pull the plug, reattach the plug lead and ground the plug to the block. Does it make a hot spark? <br /><br />If you have a spark, squirt a bit of fuel mix into the top carb with the engine idling and see if the rpm picks up. If it does, you have a problem with the upper carb.<br /><br />If you have no spark or weak spark on #1, you either need to get the neon tester for the powerpack or replace it.<br /><br />My manual on the 48SPL only goes up to '88, so I can't be more specific than that.<br /><br />Good luck, and let us know what you find. :)

phonetech

Cadet

JB Thanks for the info i will be going to pick my boat up tommorrow if it is not fixed yet and i will try those suggestions i thought about the power pack i should have tried that my self first i will be sure to let you know how i make out. thanks again jb for your response phonetech

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the power pack output to the ignition coil on number 1, should be 175 volts engine running with a peak reading meter. If this voltage low check charge coil voltage should be 230 volts with peak reading meter at cranking rpms. Recheck ignition coil, primary side 0.1 ohms, secondary side 275 +- 50 ohms. Look for bare wires from pack to coil. If one cylinder firing good, sensor should be ok, this engine uses one sensor to fire both cylinders.

phonetech

Cadet

clanton, do you think the power pack is good if one cylinder is firing phonetech

phonetech

Cadet

do you think if i replace the powerpack that will take care of my problem because before i took it in i checked my fuel feed to the carbs and the mechanic did also and found no problems there. could the powerpack affect the amount of spark. what exactly does the power pack do is it a relay switch of some sort?

clanton

Rear Admiral

If I had to guess, I would guess power pack. Bad sensor will effect both cylinders, bad charge coil will effect both cylinders, that leaves pack, coil, and wires to effect one cylinder. You can use a multimeter to check the output, AC scale and X 1.414 should get you close.

phonetech

Cadet

Well JB.,and Clanton i got hosed at the mechanic he charged me 125.00 for doing nothing he told me he re did the carbs but that cotradicted what he told me 3 days earlier that my carbs were fine.he told me it could not be the power pack because he was getting spark BUT GUESS WHAT HE WAS WRONG!!!!i stopped on my way to pick it up from him and bought a power pack it was the best 96.00 i ever spent. dont want the wife to hear that though. so many thanks phone tech

clanton

Rear Admiral

The tech probley just checked the spark on a cold engine at cranking speed.

phonetech

Cadet

how hard is it to change the water pump impeller on evinrude 48 spl