1996 Bayliner Jazz

bandt0128

Cadet
I've never owned a boat before and I was given a 1996 bayliner Jazz with the 120 mercruiser xr jet drive. the boat appers to be in good shape but i really dont know much about the motor. The boat had been sitting for a couple months before i got it. I tried to start it on the trailer and it started right up once but then cut off. I tried to start it again but it wouldnt start. I then heard a dripping sound coming from under the black cover that is connected to the carbs. Does it sound like I flooded it or does it sound more serious. Any help would be appreciated

Travis

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1996 Bayliner Jazz

those use carbs with a bowl and a float, see if a float is sticking and flooding the carb, pump the primer and see if fuel is running out a carb if so take off the bowl and see why it is flooding. you really need to do a compression check just so you know what you have also find out if it is premix or oil injection,, ask the previous owner

bandt0128

Cadet

Thanks I will check the bowls that would make sense on why it seems like too much gas is getting to it. the motor is oil injection i do know that do you have any idea what the compression should be? Thanks for your help

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

don't recall the numbers but they should all be real close to each other,, usually the top one is the lowest but I would guess around 120. plus look at the plugs when you remove them if there is a carb issue it should show a wet or black plug, proper color is tan or brown,, if one is silver you have problems.

bandt0128

Cadet

thanks for all of the info i plan on working on it next week.

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I loaded the 120xr2 manual and pm'd you a link-most guys just need the 90-120 SJ manual.

Do yourself a favour and read posts here on how to safely run that engine off a garden hose....otherwise its gonna backfire and blow the ride plate right off.

cris

Recruit

hello i have this same boat with some problems of my own and was wondering if i could get a copy of that manual thank you very much cris

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Manuals are available at www.clymer.com , they are copies of the shop manuals , Bayliner also has owners manuals online , they help a little and are better than noyhing.