1996 75hp Merc. WOT

lvg

Cadet
This engine is attached to our houseboat, which is moored in a slip. I run it every other weekend to ensure all is well, etc.<br />While watching the RPM gauge, I slowly pushed the control lever at the helm to WOT. However, the RPMs did not exceed 3000. They should be within 4650 – 5200, I believe. I then inspected the throttle linkage at the engine. The stop screw (which has this plastic coating) was fully against its stopper. It does not look like it was ever adjusted i.e., the plastic is intact.<br />With out taking the houseboat for a cruise, I would have thought the engine would reach its appropriate RPM range even when moored. The propeller is 14x11. It may not be the perfect pitch, but should still have gotten me close to the appropriate RPM range at WOT.

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 75hp Merc. WOT

I have a few issues with your statements here.<br /><br />First - "While watching the RPM gauge, I slowly pushed the control lever at the helm to WOT. However, the RPMs did not exceed 3000. They should be within 4650 – 5200, I believe."<br /><br />Was this tied at the dock? If so, then you will probably not reach WOT rpm unless you cavitate the prop.<br /><br />Second - "I then inspected the throttle linkage at the engine. The stop screw (which has this plastic coating) was fully against its stopper. It does not look like it was ever adjusted i.e., the plastic is intact."<br /><br />It probably has not been adjusted and doesn't need to be. That screw, if it's the one I'm thinkin of, sets the maximum timing at WOT. These don't usually need to be adjusted.<br /><br />Finally - "With out taking the houseboat for a cruise, I would have thought the engine would reach its appropriate RPM range even when moored. The propeller is 14x11. It may not be the perfect pitch, but should still have gotten me close to the appropriate RPM range at WOT."<br /><br />Again, I refer to the first statement. You can't get an accurate idea of engine performance when the boat is tied to the dock. Take the boat out and find out what the max RPM is and then address any shortcomings in WOT rpm after that.<br /><br />Good luck and keep us posted!