1996 60 HP alarm

bobmac

Cadet
I got my boat out of winter storage and the alarm test works when you turn the key on, but then a wierd, sort of muted alarm, sounds constantly. The oil tank is full and the water pump is working. I did the tests from the manual and there was no continuity in the oil tank while it was full. My book tells me it is the alarm module, but how does that just fail while in storage? Is there any possibility of the oil jelling and causing a sensor to stick or plugging a line? If so, how do I unstick it?

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1996 60 HP alarm

macms, I have this exact motor on my tx-17 tracker. I was having the same muted alarm but now it has increased to the full slow beeping. I spoke with my tracker dealer/family friend and he says this is a common problem with trackers. He suggested disconnecting my oil sensor alarm, I'm just not sure which wire it is. With the visible oil resovoir I don't believe I'll replace the entire tank/sensor, I'd rather check the oil manually. If anyone knows which wire it is please post it for me. Thanks again guys,

Keefbikes

Seaman Apprentice

If you are sure it is the oil sensor you may cut the wire, but not recomended. Watch your temp. There is a number of sensors it could be. It is better to replace the sensor with a new one, there will always be times you will forget to check and if you have no sensor your done. I suggest replacment and regulare monitoring. The sensor is not that expensive.

bobmac

Cadet

trackerdave: On the starboard side of the engine there are a lot of wires. The blue wires come from the oil tank sensor. If you disconnect these and the alarm still sounds, disconnect the temperature switch wire - tan or tan/blue. I disconnected mine at the "Y" connector where two wires go into one and then to the black alarm module which is behind the wires. I just plan to watch my oil level and make sure my engine is spitting water. Goog luck!

bobmac

Cadet

TrackerDave: One more thing I found with my 1996 mercury 60 hp bigfoot. You won't believe this but it is true. Your carbs might ice up if the humidity is high. I had this happen a lot when the temps were in the mid to high 80's. The cure seems to be to run either Sea Foam or a Mercury carb cleaner (both are fairly expensive). When the carbs ice up you will only be able to run at idle or wide open. It will die in the mid range. There were quite a few posts about two years ago about this problem and I wrote to Mercury Marine. They told me that the carb icing is possible under those conditions. Hope this helps.

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice

From what I've read in my motor manual there are two main alarms. 1. short beeps = oil sensor and 2. long continuous beep = temp. <br />I wish I had a temp guage on the dash but oh well. I'd happily replace the oil sensor and if it's a fairly simple procedure I'll be looking into it. For now I'll disconnect the oil sensor wire just to make sure that is the alarm that is going off.<br /><br />My current problem (as of yesterday) is that she's not starting. From what I can see the gear? is not engaging the fly wheel. It acts as if it wants to lift but something seems like it's holding it down. I greased it and worked it manually with no change. I also tried another hot battery. All I want to do is fish for relaxation. Sheesh.

Keefbikes

Seaman Apprentice

Is the problem with your starter? If you are saying the starter will not jump to meat your fly wheel you need a new starter, check ebay for a used one. It is very easy to replace. Feel free to ask any questions you have along the way.

StWalkr2

Cadet

I WAS WONDERING IF THIS ALARM IS INSIDE THE CONSOLE? MY 75HP MERC JUST STARTED THIS ALARM IN THE CONSOLE TODAY....CRUSING @ 4800 RPM, SHUT DOWN ENGINE ...OIL LEVEL WAS 1/4 FULL.....REFILLED.....THE ALARM STILL SOUNDS.....NEW WATER PUMP WAS FUNCTIONING.....THIS IS A NEW MOTOR & BOAT TO ME....JUST LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER TO THIS ALARM BUZZING