1996 5.7 Exhaust Grumble

I have pretty much exhausted my knowledge. Anyone with any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I assumed I had a classic gimbal grumble. Went down bought all the supplies for a gimbal, and seal fix. Pulled outdrive = Looked perfect no water no oil, no play, no shavings in grease nothing. Went back and started motor without drive and the rumble is still there. Finally scoped the noise to the lower part of the starboard exhaust Y. Figured had a broken flap in there bumping around = No - Flap good nothing in lower Y area. I then started the motor without the flap and exhaust disconnected at the elbow. Grumble not noticeable but hard to tell with the excess noise of the exhaust straight through. Reconnect to Y without flap and the grumble is back. I am lost now. I had all the classic symptoms of a gimbal bearing and am now wishing it was that easy. I have scoped top end and bottom end of engine and everything sounds smooth. Definate grumble when I scope the lower Y.
1996 Merc 5.7 with Alpha - Maybe 100 hours on boat after the 60 I put on it this summer. Bought this year nearly new from a sour divorce situation. boat was maintained yearly.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: 1996 5.7 Exhaust Grumble

If it still has this "grumble" with the outdrive removed and you have traced it to the "Y" somewhere it must be an exhaust leak. About the only thing that would make sense.

A couple of other possibilities are...

1. You are imagining it. ;)

2. Lower end noise - main or rod bearings.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: 1996 5.7 Exhaust Grumble

Another thought would be to check the sheet metal dust shield and see if any bolts are loose.