1996 40 merc stalls

MERC40

Recruit
Thanks for looking. I just bought a 1996 40 horse merc.I tested all four cylnders they read 130 130 132 131. I put it in the water and at higher rpms it runs sweet and smooth when i throttle it down all the way it wants to die. and when i shift it into gear half the time it dies. i could fix the problem by giving it a little more throttle and putting it in gear but thats a little to fast and it clunks into gear (I know thats bad i only did it once). I also tried spraying the carbs out. its kind of a hard starting motor but when it dies it will usally start if i pump the bulb and primer a few times. it seems like its not getting enouf gas. the gas hose is about 4 feet to long, tommorow i am going to try to shorten it and see if i can find somthing in the pick up or filter that is cloged but outside everthing looks real clean. can anyone help if i have to take it to a mecanic i am going to have to sleep with the motor because i told my wife today i wouldnt by anything else for the boat untill next summer if she let me get this motor . Thanks...