1996 25 HP 3 cylinder

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I have the opportunity to buy a 25 evinrude 3 cylinder 2 stroke. I've had many 2 cyl 2 strokes but not the three. Any known quirks I should know about? I'm thinking they probably idle slightly better. E25KLEDG

Anyhow, let me know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230921-230254~2.png
    Screenshot_20230921-230254~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Good motors. Just make sure the oil injection has been disconnected. Expensive ignition parts.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Good motors. Just make sure the oil injection has been disconnected. Expensive ignition parts.
First off....I love the vro but this motor didn't come with one. Just picked it up....starts awesome and idles great. 125 on all cylinders. Motor, control box and fuel tank $300

Another idiot who bought a 4 stroke.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
First off that motor came with A VRO from the factory. Second it was a pos 2 pump system that had a high failure rate. Be happy it's gone. The ignition is the big dollar item as lt is crazy expensive. It has a hybrid optical system I believe.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
First off that motor came with A VRO from the factory. Second it was a pos 2 pump system that had a high failure rate. Be happy it's gone. The ignition is the big dollar item as lt is crazy expensive. It has a hybrid optical system I believe.
Here is the parts breakdown for this motor. No sign of a vro or oil pump.

Everything looks factory and the owner is a very old man that would appear to keep everything stock. Original paperwork, nice stand and the motor was polished clean.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???-----Did you look under fuel system for the mixer unit ?--------Did you look under crankcase to find the oil tank ????-----Not sure what the issue is.----But those all came with an automatic oil mixer from the factory.-----But every one that I have , has had that " mickey mouse" system removed and tossed out.----Every dealer that I know says " take it off off and toss it away as far as you can "

saltchuckmatt

Commander
???-----Did you look under fuel system for the mixer unit ?--------Did you look under crankcase to find the oil tank ????-----Not sure what the issue is.----But those all came with an automatic oil mixer from the factory.-----But every one that I have , has had that " mickey mouse" system removed and tossed out.----Every dealer that I know says " take it off off and toss it away as far as you can

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
While a 3 Cylinder Engine has advantages over a 2 Cylinder when it comes to Exhaust Tuning(can help Economy and Power), I haven't heard many Good Things about these 3 Cylinder engines.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It has 2 FUEL PUMPS in the system.-----It does NOT have an oil pump.-----It has an oil mixing unit in the system.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The mixing unit is under the oil tank.---Fuel is pumped through the unit and oil is added as fuel moves through it.---There is no dedicated oil pump.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2001 Johnson 25hp 3cylinder. Bought it about 10yrs ago. I did have to change the power pack once and it was expensive like 300 I think. Other than that just impeller and plugs. It gets used a couple times a week from may to November. Mostly trolling. I'm pretty sure from 96 to 2001 there all the same Johnson or rudes.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I have a 2001 Johnson 25hp 3cylinder. Bought it about 10yrs ago. I did have to change the power pack once and it was expensive like 300 I think. Other than that just impeller and plugs. It gets used a couple times a week from may to November. Mostly trolling. I'm pretty sure from 96 to 2001 there all the same Johnson or rudes.
Cool, thanks for the reply. $300 for a power pack is basically the average so nothing there to note. I think it might be a better troller than my 87 30hp but we will see.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cool, thanks for the reply. $300 for a power pack is basically the average so nothing there to note. I think it might be a better troller than my 87 30hp but we will see.
Mine trolls right down. I actually have to give it a little bit of throttle because it's too slow some days. It's on a 14ft lund.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Mine trolls right down. I actually have to give it a little bit of throttle because it's too slow some days. It's on a 14ft lund.
I have a 16 ft lund that my 30 is on and I am thinking of swapping it out. Do you know if those are both rated at the prop? (HP) again, 87 30hp 96 25hp