1996 130HP Evinrude

svan

Seaman Apprentice
you will need to hook a dva meter up with a primary terminal extender to see what voltage is doing when the motor acts up. if it dumps then the motor skips, you have an issue with the pack or stator. I'd just cranking voltage test the pack, timer base and charge coil to make sure its all in spec. something might reveal itself. intermittent issues are not exactly the most fun thing to diagnose IMO.
Yup, I Agree, I did change the Power Pack Last Year, so maybe the Stator?
The Biggest Problem is finding Time to actually Play with this problem and Use the Boat More. I thought for sure I had water in the fuel tank, I just did not see any when I drain 3 gallons out of it.
A bunch of people I work with that have Higher HP 2 strokes are saying the
Quality of the Fuel that is around the country is causing them problems.
I'll keep plugging away at it.
Thanks for the tip!
Scott

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yup, I Agree, I did change the Power Pack Last Year, so maybe the Stator?
The Biggest Problem is finding Time to actually Play with this problem and Use the Boat More. I thought for sure I had water in the fuel tank, I just did not see any when I drain 3 gallons out of it.
A bunch of people I work with that have Higher HP 2 strokes are saying the
Quality of the Fuel that is around the country is causing them problems.
I'll keep plugging away at it.
Thanks for the tip!
Scott
you bet. but you'd see water right away in the filter (hopefully you have a water separating filter with this terrible corn gas?). other thing i've done very succesfully is get a $15 manual fluid extractor, stuff as long a hose in it that you need to reach the corner of the tank, and suck away. if theres water, it will come up easily first. I dump some isopropyl alcohol in after that to absorb any remaining water, then dump some fresh fuel in. time consuming, but effective.

svan

Seaman Apprentice
you bet. but you'd see water right away in the filter (hopefully you have a water separating filter with this terrible corn gas?). other thing i've done very succesfully is get a $15 manual fluid extractor, stuff as long a hose in it that you need to reach the corner of the tank, and suck away. if theres water, it will come up easily first. I dump some isopropyl alcohol in after that to absorb any remaining water, then dump some fresh fuel in. time consuming, but effective.
I just bought some alcohol... Jack Daniels won't fix it I think, LOL,
I will be at the lake this weekend, I will pull more out of the bottom of the tank. I do have a water separator, I just bought a new element to replace the one from last Sept. Trying to get a bunch of tricks together for the weekend then I will "shotgun" it. I know that's not the proper way of troubleshooting but that went out the window last year!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Kind of like when I used to get a Bad Cold, I would get a bottle of Rum, and in no time it was gone, not the Cold...