1995 Yamaha 90hp outboard?

irv64

Cadet
I have the opportunity to buy a 1995 Starcraft FM 17 foot fishing boat that comes with a 1995 Yamaha 90hp outboard and I was wondering what anybody can tell me about this motor? Are they a good dependable motor or is that particular year one to stay away from? I know Yamaha makes a decent motor and have a good reputation but it is the year that concerns me? Are they hard on gas? What parts generally wear out? What should I look for? Any info/tips would be greatly appreciated.......Irv64 (first post by the way)

irv64

Cadet
Re: 1995 Yamaha 90hp outboard?

Anybody? I did a search but I couldn't find a whole lot of info? Is no news good news? Thanks.........Irv64

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 1989 which I think is basically the same motor and it was great. Sold it to my brother-in-law and he still loves it. These motors have one of the best oiling systems, but stick to Yamlube.<br />Some of the Yamahas had corrosion problems in salt water, but if you are buying locally the motor will only have seen fresh water and will last a long time.<br />First thing to do is buy a Yamaha workshop manual and check the water pump impeller, oil pump, fuel filter, carb and timing. They are all straight forward with the manual and it will run like a sawing machine.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

had a pair of 90's on a boat and they are reliable and practically unkillable, not all that quiet or powerfull but hey they always go and hardly ever give trouble, kinda like the 115 Yamaha, they just keep on going year after year (with some degree of servicing of course)

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh forgot! The number one rule when buying a motor, do a compression check, should be around 125psi with no more than 10% variation between cylinders!

irv64

Cadet

Thanks for your help guys, greatly appreciated. I have talked to a few guys at work and they basically said the same things, they are good strong motors. Very dependable and trouble free..Irv64

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I hope you plan to do an on-water test. What you buy with the understanding is a great motor becomes an anchor if you get it home and it doesn't run or needs major repairs.

irv64

Cadet

The guy spent 500 on a tune up/service,winterizing in the fall before he put it away and he is a friend of my fathers so I don't think he would sell it to me knowing something was wrong? I will definitley take it for a spin first. Thanks....Irv64

irv64

Cadet

Are these engines very hard on gas compared to other manufacturers 90hp motors? How do they rate amongst Mercury, Honda, Suzuki, Evinrude etc? Thanks in advance.....Irv64