1995 Starcraft 17 foot FM

irv64

Cadet
Hi, new guy here. I have the opportunity to purchase a 95 17 foot Fm Starcraft aluminium fishing boat, it comes with the full windshield, 4 pedestal seats, live well, bimini top, trolling motor, starcraft bunk trailer and a 90hp Yamaha outboard. What can anybody tell me about this boat? What does the FM stand for? The boat is in mint shape and was owned by an older gentleman. I presently own a 16 foot Smokercraft with a 50 Nissan but I would like to upgrade to this mainly because of the higher horsepower and the extra length. Any info good and bad will be appreciated, anything to look out for?.....Irv64

irv64

Cadet
Re: 1995 Starcraft 17 foot FM

Thanks for the reply Always broke and thanks for the link. Do you know anything about a 1995 Yamaha 90 hp outboard? That is the motor that comes with the boat but I haven't received any replies in the Yamaha section yet. Thanks again....Irv64

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Irv64, sorry I didn’t get back to ya about the Yamaha 90 I was tied up a bit, but I see a lot of other folks did in the Yamaha section. Keep in mind everything mechanical breaks or wears out over time. Even if it checks out good today no telling what tomorrow will bring. I have a 73’ 135HP Evinrude that checked out fine when I bought it, good compression, no strange noises, pumped water, etc… a piston skirt broke off second time out, Sh!# happens. Like they told you a in water test is always best if possible, outboards run like crap with no back pressure from being in the water. There’s also problems that will just show up being under a load that might go unnoticed otherwise. I can’t tell ya much else about that particular engine, I have Evinrude's, I/O’s and inboards on my boats, I will tell ya that as far as fuel goes on an out board get your wallet ready unless it’s a four stroke.

irv64

Cadet

Thanks always Broke, I appreciate your reply and info. I won't be able to look at it until the spring, it is shrink wrapped now and winterized. The guy wants $11,000 Canadian and some guys are saying that that seems pricy to them and others are saying it is a pretty good deal? I am a bit concerned myself since the boat is 11 years old even though it is in mint shape. I am thinking what will it be worth in another 5 or 8 years? Decisions decisions?.......Irv64

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I’ve been boating since I was two years old, had my own boat when I was six, that was back in 1966 before the US had an age limit for the safe boating laws, wow am I getting old! I’ve owned just about every type of boat you could think of since, from a Sea Snark sailboat that was made out of very dense Styrofoam to a 26’ wooden Chris Craft Cavalier cabin cruiser. The one thing that always held true is “a boat is just a hole in the water you dump your money into”. If you wanna to play you gotta pay, most boats are like cars, they depreciate and boats are worse because when they become antiques very few gain value like cars. Invest your money in something else if you want to be able to get it back someday. If you want to have fun and memories that will last a lifetime buy a boat. I can’t tell you what the boating market is like up there, I’m guessing it’s like anywhere else, supply and demand controls the market. I live in a state that’s a big tropical swamp LOL, there’s water everywhere and it’s very unusual to go by a house that does not have a boat in it’s back yard, there’s four huge boat building facilities within a ten mile radius of me. It’s not unusual to see boats dumped along the road or abandoned in the ICW that people no longer want, so things are a little different here. It sounds like you got some time before you hand over your hard earned money so use it wisely and look around at other boats in your price range and see what’s available then you’ll know if your paying a fair price. As far as the age of the boat goes it sounds like this guy took very good care of his boat, myself, I’d rather have an eleven year old boat that was well taken care of then a five year old boat that was not.

irv64

Cadet

Thanks Always Broke, just curious what that boat would sell for down your way? I hear you when you say you would rather have a great 11 year boat than a not so good 5 year old boat! I am the same way....Irv64

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tough Question without seeing your boat, going out and actually shopping around, not having any idea how our US bucks compare to Canadian bucks... I did a quick search on the web for fishing boats in the 16 to 18 foot range here in the south east with Yamaha motors. Most of them do not have as large of a motor as the one your looking at, they range from 40 to 70 HP and for a year 2000 to 2004 I figured they would be in the shape the one your looking at is in. They range in price from $5K to $7K outfitted like yours. Keep in mind that is just a web search and not going out and really looking for a good deal local. Hope that helps you out, I saved what I found in the search but didn't want to fill up the forum with all the details. I'll email them to ya if ya want, just e mail me at daveg16101@aol.com and I'd be happy to help ya out. Who knows maybe you'll want to take a ride down and drag a boat home with ya :eek:

irv64

Cadet

Thanks again Always Broke, I appreciate your time and effort looking into this for me! I will send you an e-mail.........Irv64