1995 SP Blowing 5 amp fuse

Robj

Lieutenant
Hello,

I just purchased a 1995 Seadoo SP. I have never worked on a Seadoo, but have worked on many outboards and inboards. According to the previous owner, when he tried to start it, it kept blowing a 5 amp fuse. That is all that I know about, I don't even know where the 5 amp fuse it, I looked but could not find one.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this, or where to start troubleshooting?

Thanx for your help and have a great day

Rob.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1995 SP Blowing 5 amp fuse

Holy schmoly Robj. You dont know anything about sea doos but you bought a non running one? Without a sea trial. You sound almost as dumb as me. I hope you did a compression test at least. Start with a repair manual and go to the electronics section. Bad ground?

Pintail58

Cadet

In the rear of the bike there is a white box. The fuse should be in there. If not then in a sealed box under the front compartment ( memory foggy) I'de be willing to bet that there is a bad wire either in the box or towards the starter. Note: anytime you are dealing with the electrical sysyem on a bike be sure to free the hull of fuel fumes prior.... Also check the start button..

fACTORY PHIL

Recruit

two problem can cause this bad mpem in elec box or a grounded stator replace blown fuse after u have unpluged gray connector on eng then check to see if it blows as u put fuse in , if not plug in gray connector and see if that blows it , if it blows after being plugged in stator is grounded and must be replaced

Robj

Lieutenant

Update like everything else buying a machine that does not run is a gamble. But it may be worth it if you buy the machine cheap enough, wnich I did. The problem was with the MPEM. To make a long story short I removed the epoxy potting material and replaced the diode which was shorted. It fired right up but I only ran it for a second in the garage. I will take it out once the weather improves to see how it does.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Robj, sorry about the harsh post. I think i am mad at myself for doing the same thing. I bought a non running jet ski and a boat with twin engines (real cheap). They turn out to be not so cheap once you start putting parts into them. Congrats on getting it running. I got my ski running too. Still working on the boat. Have fun out there and be safe. Look over your shoulder before you do cuts. Sea doos are one of the most reliable watercrafts out there. Do a comp test and post the results. Want to know how much of a steal you got. This bad economy is great for folks that can turn a wrench.