1995 Regal

Tuna Van

Seaman Apprentice
I have done a lot of research in the past few weeks and think I have decided on a boat. It is a 95 Regal 202 with a Volvo/SX 5.0. I am going to have it checked by a mechanic and take it out on the lake, but are there any problems I should look for specifically with this boat/engine combo?

Any help is appreciated

Tuna

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 Regal

the drive system is superior.
Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

Tuna Van

Seaman Apprentice

Seller wants $5500. Seems a little high but it is in better condition than anything else I have looked at. Any opinions on price?

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

To a certain degree the pricing is influenced by the local economy. Sounds like down in Florida boats are stacked up like cord wood so the pricing is in the toilet. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, boats tend to sell for more for some reason. Not sure why but I think it has something to do with the economy up here. I know California has been hit pretty hard too and I see a bit of a drop when looking down there as well. With the a boat this old the value is really driven by the condition of the motor and Hull, any rot in the hull drops the price substantially and a low compression motor is the same. Nobody wants someones problem boat right now.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seems like a reasonable price to ask, IMO. Could talk him down - try. IF it checks out, a nice boat with a nice power package.

That boat/engine have nothing special that any 13 year old boat with a VP engine would have. Have the engine checked, check everywhere for signs of rot. If fine, buy it. Even if you pay a few $$$ more than you MIGHT find one for later - is it worth shopping for months to MAYBE find a better deal? A nice boat at a good price ...... a great combo.