1995 Polaris SLT750, grease gushing out impeller

nramil

Cadet
I have a Polaris SLT750 that has been sitting in the garage for 10days from last use. I always check it in driveway prior to taking it on the lake. I put water hose in the flush kit and make sure the jetski comes on. This time, 2days ago the jetski turns over but did not start. I tried it for about 1-2mins and no luck. I hooked up a battery charger and charged it for 2days. I noticed the engine turns over better with a charged battery. It took about 6 tries turning the engine before I got it to come on. I then noticed some black stuff squirting out of the impeller with the water for about 30secs. I turned off the engine and it looks like grease. I turned it back on and more squirted out for about 10secs and then was just clear water after. Any idea what that was. I let the jetski idle for a few minutes and it was just clear water.

After my last run 10days ago...I flushed the engine and hosed down inside of hull. The sprayed silicon.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1995 Polaris SLT750, grease gushing out impeller

forget about it. it is just sludge from the exhaust system ,, unburned 2 stroke oil collects in the water box, when you flush the engine you back flush it through the pump and some of that goo goes out the intake holes in the pump. However it sounds like you are turning the water on before you are starting the engine, never do that because you are ruining the engine with water filling up the crank case, for exhaust sludge to get in to the engine water passages and make it's way out the pump pick up and exit the pump tells me you must be running the hose before you start the engine and this is probably why you are having trouble getting the engine to start

nramil

Cadet

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I thougt for while that I blew some kind of seal or something. Now I feel more comfortable going to the lake this weekend.

Will it hurt the engine turning it on for 3-5 secs. I actually do that before going in the water. I guess what I am trying to do is crank the engine to get the fuel in the line for easier startup when I am on water. While I wait in line to launch I just crank the engine a few times till it turns on. I don't hold the start button for no more than 5secs and wait another 5ces befoire trying again. Once it turns on I let it idle for about 3secs then turn off. Is this a good thing to do? Am I ruining anything without water for a short period.?

again, thanks for your info.

Nick

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

that is ok it will make your starter last longer too because you are not priming the fuel system using the starter to turn the pump and the engine. out of the water the engine turns over easier with no drag on the pump.