1995 Mercury Black Max XRI (EFI) shuts off suddenly and randomly

jlyalls

Cadet
Hey guys I am fairly new to this forum and I wanted to see if you guys could possibly help me out. I am a newlywed and have a mortgage now, so taking my boat to the repair shop is not really an option right now. I will break down below what issues I have noticed on my Basscat.

Problems
1. Motor shuts off randomly while going down the lake.
2. Found bad spot on wire going to fuel pump so I re spliced and made new connection.
3. Thought I had issue fixed by fixing splice and boat still shut off with no signs or sputtering.
4. Noticed that my Voltage is staying at 12.1 volts when the motor is on. (Not charging starting battery)
5. I changed all of my ends and cleaned them and tested the battery and all were good.
6. When I squeeze the new end on the connector going to the fuel pump it usually starts. (Tested at 1500 RPMs and it draws 2.8 amps)

So basically I am thinking ok...is it a bad stator causing some electrical issues? Why is the fuel pump connector getting loose....is it drawing too many amps when going fast down the lake and it gets the connector hot and it becomes slightly open? When I mess with the connector most of the time it starts back up. Could it be a bad voltage regulator? I have a good Fluke meter to test with but the problem is I am not sure which wires to test to see if I can pin point what is bad. I do not believe it is a fuel line problem just because it doesn't sputter, but I guess it could possibly be that. I know this may be confusing but like I said I am no expert, :)but I can follow troubleshooting tips really well! Thanks guys for the future comments and look forward to your input.

Thank you,

Josh

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
First fix the charging problem as the ECU can act goofy if voltage drops below 11.5v.

jlyalls

Cadet
Where would you recommend starting for testing? I am assuming the wires that come out of the voltage regulator that go to the batteries? If so do you know the color of the wire to test for voltage?